Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a new window regulator because my old one basically crapped out on me. The cable onthe old one snagged at some point so by the time i opened up the actual motor, there was frayed cable all over the place.

So I install the new one and i hear whirring but nothing moving. I unscrew it to check the motor again and the wheel that holds all the cable slips out. Has anyone tried re-wrapping the cable and installing it?

And is there anyone in So Cal that wouldn't mind helpin me with it? lol

lemme know...
Sean

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you can't get the cable re-wrapped and the clips on your regulator are still good, I've got a new regulator (without the clips) that may be what you need. PM me if you're interested. It's for the front drivers side.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
ouch .... that happened to my cousins A4 and we closed up the window. the motor and regulator was fine it was the cable that kinked and frayed .... He went to the Dealer for the cable:crazy: and they told him they only sell the whole window unit ($735 :crazy: ) all local junk yards would only sell the whole door min> $250 .. so window is sealed for life till he gets the BALLS to dish out $250 for the door ......

ohhh yea back to the point .... we did try to re-wrap the cable but it would work fine going in the up position but going down it would jump off and we were back to square 1 again ......so we wraped it up again and closed the window and dissconnect the window ......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ook so i got it wrapped up on the spool and it just whirrs and doesnt pull the clips up and down. The motor looks a little worn, any suggestions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
how can i get the window to stay up permanently until i get a new motor. I know i can fix the clips so they stay up but how do i lower the window onto them?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
how can i get the window to stay up permanently until i get a new motor. I know i can fix the clips so they stay up but how do i lower the window onto them?
shoot, you're soopaman - weld it in place with your heat vision! ;)

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Plus socal is bigger than some states - where in socal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts