Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S? Other 18" 'touring' tires?

I'm looking for an 18" tire (225/40/18), but here's my criteria:

What I DON'T need:
- max adhesion
- cool looks
- snow performance
- major rain performance

What I DO need (in order):
- quiet ride
- comfortable ride
- good wear
- reasonable cost

I know 18's and comfort are kind of exclusionary, but I was reading some of the reviews on Tire Rack, and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S seems like a good choice. Tread wear like a rock, quiet, good price. The M&S is unnecessary for me, but seems the only way to get a good tread wear. The 'summer only' tires all seem to be soft gumballs. I have steelies for winter, so I'll swap before snow gets here.

Is a load rating of 88 adequate for a Passat (wagon)?

Any other suggestions in this category?

TIA.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Yes the Proxes 4. The FZ4's are being discontinued I believe. I got them from www.treaddepot.com for 88 each plus shipping. Ended up to be about 100 each total. You may be able to get them locally for a similar price - the cheapest by me was like 140.00.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
pzero nero MS has awesome 400 tread wear spec. I've tried other brands such as sumi htr+, Pirelli p7000, and Kumho Ecsta in 235/40/18 but Pzero Nero MS is best in the comfort, quiet as well as the performance category.

These may cost slightly higher, but will worth every penny, IMHO. I think the other popular choice is ContiExtremeContacts and maybe little bit cheaper.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Pzero Nero M&S as well and I agree they are a great tire. I currently have them on 18X8.5 wheels and the rims are a hair wider than the tire. This combined with the two ply sidewall construction makes them a step stiffer than the aforementioned tires (Proxes, Cont. ect.). I don't personaly mind, but if you are looking for a softer ride, you may find it elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I 2nd the recommendation of the Proxes 4... I'm currently running Pirelli P7000 Super Sports which are excellent tires but they need to rotated often because of their soft compound. The Nero M&S are replacements for the SuperSports but they have the same wear characteristics, and need to be rotated often.

The Proxes 4's are an excellent High Performance All-Season tire that wears evenly and doesn't have to be rotated as often. I only run Toyo Proxes T1-S as my summer tires and they are the best I've ran on the street and on the track as a non-slick.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
RL331 said:
Actually the Proxes 4 uses a harder compound which makes them stiffer than the Pzeros. Pirellis are known for their soft sidewalls anyway.
On the 18" wheels, there isn't much side wall modulation even with a softer rubber, so having it softer is more ideal for this size, if you care about ride comfort at all.

Just recheck the specs on the Pzero Nero MS review from tirerack. Some of the tests out scores or are very comparable with some of the best summer street tires on the market.

BTW, I wouldn't compare Pzero nero MS tires to the Pirelli P7000, cuz P7000's are junk compare to Pzero Neros in all aspect. At least for the 18" fitment I've used.

Can't say much about Proxes, but why would you want a directional summer tire, if all season tires can performed the same and even be safe in the rain?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
PASSAT2001.5 said:
Can't say much about Proxes, but why would you want a directional summer tire, if all season tires can performed the same and even be safe in the rain?
The Proxes 4 ARE M+S rated. They are supposed to be great in the rain and good in the snow - I have yet to test them out yet in the snow.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
PASSAT2001.5 said:
RL331 said:
Actually the Proxes 4 uses a harder compound which makes them stiffer than the Pzeros. Pirellis are known for their soft sidewalls anyway.
On the 18" wheels, there isn't much side wall modulation even with a softer rubber, so having it softer is more ideal for this size, if you care about ride comfort at all.

Just recheck the specs on the Pzero Nero MS review from tirerack. Some of the tests out scores or are very comparable with some of the best summer street tires on the market.

BTW, I wouldn't compare Pzero nero MS tires to the Pirelli P7000, cuz P7000's are junk compare to Pzero Neros in all aspect. At least for the 18" fitment I've used.

I highly disagree, the Pireli P7000 SuperSports are great tires but you have to take care of them. I'm having no problems with them at all, but I am rotating them every 3,000 miles! I've driven on alot of all-seasons, and they are excellent High Performance All-Season tires. The Nero M&S are also nice tires but their performance is almost identical to the 7000's that I'm currently running. There's so many factors to consider when I do a tire comparison, and when I have more time I will go through some items that Tirerack and other consumer sites fail to discus. Did you know that some Soft-Compound Tires perform better on melded asphalt based road surfaces. If you drive on roads which use recycled plastics as part of the surface then certain tires perform differently than those on concrete, especially when considering road noise and some handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Swami,

Maybe I've over simplified my statement about the Pirelli P7000 SS. Here's why I think it's a junk.

If you look back maybe 3 to 4 years, when there were limited choice of tires in Ultimiate Performace All Season Tire Class, Pirelli P7000 SS was one of the few decent tires that performed well in dry/wet road conditon at decent pricing. However, look how many choices we have now in this very class. More and more tire makers are targeting for luxury sports sedan market which requires ultimate dry/wet peformance as well as ensuring low noise and high level of ride comfort.

So, if you re-evaluate the current choices in Ultimate Performance All Seasoln Tire Class, P7000 only meet in dry/wet performance, but does fall behind by alot to noise and comfort category. Also, some of the cheaper tires such as Sumi HTR+, Conti Extremecontact does provide equal or better dry/wet performance with alot better noise and comfort. I think even Pirelli knows that they can't compete in the Ulitimate Performance All Season Tire market with P7000 and had introduce alot better product, PZero Nero MS, to retire Pirelli P7000 SuperSports.

This is why I think P7000 is a junk tire since it does not offer what can be had for cheaper price by other vendors. I think even Pirelli knows it and P7000 is being phased out for this very reason.

My experiece with P7000 with 18" fitment was satisfactory in the performance category, but was extremely regretefull in comfort and noise category. I didn't rotate at every 3K miles like you've been doing, but 5K rotation interval should be sufficient for most tires. These were the worst tires I've even owned, and had to replace them after 15K miles. I would not put these tires even if someone pays me to.

All in all, there are so many choice of tires for the price range of P7000 that can offer so much more. I have nothing against Pirelli, but just P7000. I currently own Pzero Nero MS and they are so much better tires than P7000 ever was in all category. You should try it and you may agree with me, too. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
Mr Wolf
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing