Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Pipe broken near oil dipstick tube under intake manifold b5.5 1.8t

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  cchief22 
#1 ·
My passat has a turbo underboost code and before changing the turbo I was inspecting all the lines. I noticed that there was an elbow completely missing that looks pretty important. It goes into the engine right near where the oil dipstick tube is. I have no idea what the purpose of the elbow is. I watched a video of someone taking off the manifold in order to see what the pipe looks like. I will attach a photo below. Does anyone know what this elbow is and if it missing can contribute to the turbo underboost? There is also a lot of oil on my engine around where the pipe is missing. Can it also cause that? Thanks.

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
That plastic pipe is part of the PCV system and having it broken or missing will cause a huge vacuum leak. That certainly explains the oil on the engine in that area and it could potentially cause turbo underboost (and lots of poor running symptoms). You should fix it ASAP. This pipe can be replaced with the intake manifold in place but I'd recommend removing the intake at this point so you can clean up the area and search for any broken plastic pieces (or other junk) inside the engine itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.