Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask a silly question as I went to get my front upper control arms replaced and I did not buy the pinch bolt and nut. The shop found 2 bolt/nuts and put them in but I'd prefer to get new ones.

Are the part numbers:

Item #9
N10286102 shouldered hex. nut,

Item #10
N0347907 screw, hex. hd.

Also, how hard would they be to replace by myself? Do they just slide out or do they have to be hammered out? When the shop replaced the arms this week, they used an oscillating hammer to bang the pinch bolt loose..

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
Part numbers correct. Since the shop already pulled them out, the worst you would need to get them out again is a small hammer to tap out.

Use the silver anti-seize on the non threaded part before you put them in. Then, insert them so that the threaded part is pointing out away from the car. If they ever get stuck again, it will be easier to hammer from that direction.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
Thanks. I'm going to order and do it myself. Should be pretty easy!
Yeah if the shop just did this, it'll be easy peasy. The hardest part will be jacking up the car to take the wheel(s) off for access.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Don't be surprised if the upper ball joints, one or both, pop up and out when the bolt is removed. They are easy to push/tap back in as long as the ball stud remains aligned with the hole.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more question. When I ordered the pinch bolt/nut combo, the part numbers I provided were superseded by new numbers:

N-034-790-8 for the screw
N-102-861-10 for the nut

I went to test what I got and when I tried to thread the nut onto the screw by hand, the nut only went in and stopped when the head of the screw was almost flush with the nut. So I called the dealer that I bought it from. The person I spoke to grabbed another set and confirmed she saw the same behavior. She then spoke to someone in the shop and told me that this is normal. That the nut had to be ratcheted on and this was a one time use.

Is that true?

·
Registered
7,728 Posts
One more question. When I ordered the pinch bolt/nut combo, the part numbers I provided were superseded by new numbers:

N-034-790-8 for the screw
N-102-861-10 for the nut

I went to test what I got and when I tried to thread the nut onto the screw by hand, the nut only went in and stopped when the head of the screw was almost flush with the nut. So I called the dealer that I bought it from. The person I spoke to grabbed another set and confirmed she saw the same behavior. She then spoke to someone in the shop and told me that this is normal. That the nut had to be ratcheted on and this was a one time use.

Is that true?
Yes, it's a self-locking nut.
Torque specs I don't know what values.
Tight from a 3/8 drive ratchet is what I do.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,103 Posts
Yes, it is totally fine. Its an oval nut. It will hold constant pressure on the threads as a locking feature. I believe the bolt is an 8.8. 30ftlb is the tq. spec Nothing major.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts