Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have upgraded your brakes with a big brake kit, could you forward your experiences? Is it worth the cost, is the stopping power that good, etc...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
frogman20V said:
For those of you who have upgraded your brakes with a big brake kit, could you forward your experiences? Is it worth the cost, is the stopping power that good, etc...

Thanks in advance!
The answer depends upon what you're going to use the car for. If all you're after is improved braking performance, tires and pad changes will pretty much handle most people's needs.

If you're going to track the car, then you in addition to the tires and pads, you "might" want to think about a multi-piston caliper along with a larger rotor, keeping in mind a few things that logistically occurs when going to a larger rotor and caliper:

1. rim size and/or offset may prevent you from going this route.
2. normal 1pc. rotors of a larger size will weigh more
3. brake bias (front to rear) should be taken into consideration
4. cost is proportional to the size of the rotor it appears. :)

I went with what was considered a low-cost brake kit which wasn't really a kit as it was a recipe on how to roll your own brake kit, but it isn't bad and it was low cost back in 98'. Today, ECS Tuning has a similar kit for the same price only now, you don't have to go to a Porsche, Audi, Blau, and BIRA for the parts.

I think the biggest advantage you'll get out of a BBK is when you push the car hard in racing (autocross) conditions. The brakes will be there time after time of hard braking (assuming you put the right pads in.)

A side effect of a good braking system is better brake pedal feel. For better or for worse, having a solid feel in the brake pedal is good feed back for some of us. It was bad for me because I had a rotor shimmy issue until I finally put in a pair of 2pc. rotors. But I liked the feed back regardless.

HTH.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
How about getting some cross-drilled rotors? Does anyone have experience with upgraded rotors and pads they could post?

I was thinking about doing this because the materials are relatively inexpensive. There are some rotors for sale in the marketplace i was thinking about getting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have recently put 18s on my car and notice that it definitely takes more stopping power to slow the car. I put RS4 Replicas with Nitto Neogens and they are certainly not light by any means but they look fantastic and seem strong. My goal is to do some really amateur track time and am looking to spend under $1500 for a brake upgrade. Also, I live amoungst thousands of deer out in the sticks of Northern Virginia and it would be nice to have bit more stopping power...

Any other brake mods out there?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
they have the tyrolsport caliper bushing.

if you want to spend 1500, and you don't mind used, then you can find used set of brake kits usually under that price. of course, this just depends on luck of the draw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts