Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle is giving my cousin (his son) his old 1987 Volvo 760 Turbo as his first car. The car is mechanically sound (getting a tune up as we speak). All the lines have been changed, turbo has been reconnected & tuned up. Engine is in great shape, despite the 175K miles on her. Headliner is coming down, paint is all fuct, 2 wheels/tires dont match... and a host of other minor monor problems associated with such an old car.

Considering the car is so old, my uncle has given my cousin a bit of cash which to dress up the car a bit more. I donated a small self powered sub. With some of the loot, I ordered a couple of Pioneer goodies... about $300 worth (HU, speakers, wiring, and a used XM tuner). We're now down to $500. I found a set of 16's on tirerack that look cool & are within budget. But we're also considering a cheap paintjob (prolly a cheezy Maaco Ambasador job). We don't really care about how good the painjob is. Afterall, its such an old car, who really cares. Question is: What would you guys do with the extra cash. I'm sure more moeny will be dumped into this pit over time... but in the immediate future, what would you do?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Tint it. Wheels. and even a crummy paint job will make your cousin that much more proud. And hey no one will be able to see the droopy headliner if the tints are dark enough! What color is it (will it be)? Is it a wag? Post pics!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
yea I would say if nothing else, skip the paint, thoughs Maco jobs are really crappy.

If the paint is just dull, clay bar is, and then do a little Mothers Three Step Wax system with a buffer.

as long as your not down to primer, that will make a big difference.

-Nick

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahahahaha.... the hood is down past the primer! Like I said, its an old car that we just want to make a bit prettier. We have a close family friend that works at a Volvo Service Dept. so we're covered on all servicing, repairs, etc. They've looked over the car, and aside from the disconeccted turbo, the engine, drivetrain, electrical is all good... he even had all the hoses, belts, etc changed to new. This is literally an 18 year old kids first car. He seems like he'll be a gear head for life though... so this is a perfect car to start with as he will no doubt need to do maintenance on his own. Pretty good car for hands on learning... plus the memories associated with a crappy car as your first is priceless. Makes you appreciate the better ones you'll own later on in life.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spirare said:
Tint it. Wheels. and even a crummy paint job will make your cousin that much more proud. And hey no one will be able to see the droopy headliner if the tints are dark enough! What color is it (will it be)? Is it a wag? Post pics!
Yeah. Its a wagon. IT was actually once a great car. It still is I suppose considering how reliable its been.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember my very first car. In my case though, I had no money for any paint. I used Krylon to paint the areas that needed it & the places where it was rusting. I actually think I did an ok job color matching.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
atomicalex said:
Fix the stupid headliner!!!!!
Hell yes! I was thinking the same thing - nothing I hate more than that damned headliner hitting my head - I had an old Pontiac in high school that did this - aaargghhh!

Then after that, I wouldn't put a damn dime in it - it's a beater - it should look like crap - it's 18 years old, a lot of miles, something major may give and you may need that money to put into it (a tie rod, a/c goes, need new tires, brakes, something.) I mean a nice stereo is cool but I wouldn't put nice rims or paint it or anything like that - I think a shitty paintjob looks worse than primer.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK... just spoke to my uncle. We're not worried about the maintenacne & parts if anything breaks down. Accordning to our friend at Volvo, there are bins & bins of used (but still functional) parts for this model. Plus any parts that may need to be bought can be gotten for really cheap. The headliner is going to be where this money is used. Its actually more expensive to go to the dealer for this, so we're going to some auto-upholsterer they know. This will probably exhaust $200 to $250 (at most). Since I'd say at least 50% of the car is already past the primer, I think we're gonna sand the rest of it down ourselves & just spray paint it. Hahaha

·
Registered
272 Posts
as far as the headliner goes, just do it yerselves.
as i did mine, and my friends jetta 3.
all you need is some cans of 3M super 90
adhesive from home depot, and yer choice
of polyester based fabric from the local
fabric store. make sure you use a poly based fabric
as not to fade in the sun :wink: ifya need help, or pics
of my install, just shoot me an email
[email protected] Laaaaater :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Check out the most recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine... you won't believe what you can do with a Volvo of this vintage. Hint: it has nothing to do with "pimpin" or anything with the stereo.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Scotaku said:
Check out the most recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports magazine... you won't believe what you can do with a Volvo of this vintage. Hint: it has nothing to do with "pimpin" or anything with the stereo.
I'm not sure what that magazine says since I don't receive it but I know Car and Driver did an article a little while ago about a guy who put Ford Mustang 5.0 engines that fit right into these 240's. I think the guy did one for David Letterman and Paul Newman. ;)

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The V8 convesion in older Volvo's is a fairly "common" mod Click me. When I had my 850 & then subsequently the V70R, we did a few mods couresty of iPd & EasternAerospace. Admittedly, its been a while since I've gotten involved in Volvo tuning so I'm a bit out of the loop.... I may check it out. However, I don;t think this car will be tuned for performance at this point. If it were MY car, it would be different. Alas, its just my little cousin's ride & at 18 years old, he doesn't have the funds to do anything real. More importantly, he doesnt have the level of interest (yet) to start enhancing the performance. I think he needs to learn how to drive better before we even start thinking of looking up performance parts.

(But I will probably do the research on my own. I have a feeling my aunt & uncle have a Scion B planned for my cousin if he can maintain his GPA & graduate valedictorian of his HS this coming May. After that, I'm gonna try to get my meathooks on this car.)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Spray paint that beotch! Really! A flat black looks pretty tough and at the same time covers any primer or blemishes.
Sinse the kids not really into "fixing it up" or "pimping" it, go over the car and find anything and everything wrong with it. Fix it!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
(But I will probably do the research on my own. I have a feeling my aunt & uncle have a Scion B planned for my cousin if he can maintain his GPA & graduate valedictorian of his HS this coming May. After that, I'm gonna try to get my meathooks on this car.)
Valedictorian? How hard does he have to work for that? I'm valedictorian of my class right now (even though we've only been through 3 semesters) and school is pretty much a breeze. Pretty sick :roll:

Anyways, back to the topic: Go to http://www.swedespeed.com for Volvo tuning stuff. One of their feature cars is that Paul Newman 850 Wagon with a V8 in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
Kiyoshi
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing