Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Elee said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Pictures of HID's 4700K, 5000K, 6000K, 8000K, 1000K?????
Those look like thumbs up guys, not HID bulbs. :D

Taking pictures to compare bulbs of different color tempertatures would be very difficult to do correctly. Most digital cameras with auto white balance would try to "fix" the color to correct for different color temperature illumination.

Turning off white balance (or at least fixing it in one setting) and fixing the exposure settings (exposure time and aperture) would be one way to take these shots. Not all cheap digital cameras can do this. To be a good comparison the bulbs would all have to be in the same housing taken in the same spot.

I think you mean 10kK, not 1kK. 1kK could hardly be called white. 10kK is illegal. 6kK and 8kK HID sources are obnoxious (produce more glare and less light than 4kK HIDs).

http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLighti...gYourAutomobile101/WhitenessandBrightness.htm

·
Registered
307 Posts
MrJackalope said:
www.hidexpress.com shows you a "p-chop" version of what they'll look like.
I call BS on those pictures. The 4300K is B&W, the lights have no cutoff and would totally blind oncoming drivers as shown. It looks like they used high beam HIDs (bixenons) and a low beam halogen. They don't even look like the labels (the 6000K "aqua blue" is so far away from 6000K white that it doesn't even matter what monitor you're using).

If you want a good idea of the effect of different color temps change your monitor's setttings with a white background. Most CRTs will have settings around 5000K and 9000K. Try it.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
10,000k?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
My 6000k bulbs look more like the 10000k bulbs in my Passat, but mine were the Phillips Ultinon bulbs

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
just my opnion...
don't go above 6000K (the philips 6000K is great). I have hella's 4300 kit and love them. They are the cleanest and brightest look (and they're legal, unlike the higher temps).
If you go to purple, u are drawing to much attention (from the cops especially). Not worth it imo. Way too ricey.
Unless u have a SUV with 30" rims, haha.

I'll take pics when i can...i have pics of my old car with 4300K...
here ya go (bright even in the daytime):

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Here's my car with 8000K lights. They are still bright and work very nicely. But I must be a ricer because these aren't OEM Hella 4300K lights.

They are a bit on the blue side, but they don't attract undo attention like some folks say.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Chas i stand corrected. In the pic urs don't look that blue. Maybe its just the camera, but i like em.

for the record:
I was caling the purple (10000K) ricey...not the light blue.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
That's OK sonny. I was just yanking your chain.

Like I said, I think the color temp of my kit is nice, but I wish they had offered it with 6000K bulbs as well. I would have perfered that, but this color temp is just fine.
Also, the place I got mine from also offered a kit that came with 9000K bulbs!!!!!! Way too blue for my taste.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Here's my 9000K setup.

I was intrigued by this color temp by a misleading web site. But my love for them has grown.

I also drive by cops all the time with them on in the day and night time and have never had any problem. These blue-ish looking lights are populating the roads in Maple Grove, and it seems that the cops "have bigger fish to fry" than to go after some stupid headlights.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats Exactly what i wanted when i started this thread... I wanted some pics of 8000K set-up--

I am waiting for my 8000K Kit from 1.8tabamoura's group buy (he did a great job with his GB!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts