Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my new variant just reached 5k, so after reading these forums, I decided to "do-it-yourself" with the NAPA 1333 Big Kahuna (and a Syntec blend 5W-30) instead of going to a quicky-lube. I just went with conveniece for the first time around, and got the filter at the NAPA distribution store just up the highway for under $14.

The job will go much quicker next time, now that I know where everything is, including how to remove the belly pan. There was no way I could've reached the oil filter from below, so went from up top. You can see the radiator overflow container pulled back.

The original filter was part 06A 115 561B which I understand is the newer, larger OEM filter for the 1.8T, but it still was way smaller than the Big Kahuna. Someone under another topic said they measured the volume difference at 1/4 quart--I'd say it's gotta be at least that much if not more. The fit isn't alarmingly tight. It was easy enough to thread it. There is some room to maneuver.

But, in general, getting my arm down there was difficult. The original filter was on very tight, and it took alot of work using a strap-type filter wrench to get it to budge. The fittings on the tube across the opening, which I was afraid to try and disconnect, and other adjacent pieces scratched my skinny arm to pieces.

When I was done, I tried and discovered that there is not room to get my strap-type filter wrench around the Big Kahuna, so I'll have to get a different wrench type, and buy a 4 pack of Wix 51333 now that I know this thing works.
Well, just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The trick to foregoing blood donations at filter changes (at least on my '98 ) is to remove the air intake hose from the Throttle Body (one clamp screw to loosen, and slide it down the hose) and go in under the coolant tank without removing it. This puts you at the front of the car and your arm is just the right length. At the same time you can check the TB for carbon buildup and clean it out if needed. Of course, if you feel that blood donation is an important community service... :wink:

JWEAKS: Thanks for the pics! I was wondering what it looked like in there. I had an oil coking/sludge problem and replaced my oil pump and the turbo and I want to keep the oil a bit cooler and get more in there. Looks like the 1333 will help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That filter is so big that I've found a piece of sandpaper wrapped around it gives me enough grip and leverage to remove it without using a filter wrench. That helps a little with the scratching of the arms.

·
Registered
696 Posts
hmm all i used to do was unscrew the coolant tank, disconnect the coolant sensors and then just flip that puppy up towards the ECU, and i had plenty of space to get in there. lol my strap type oil filter wrench got bent because the stock filter was on soo damn tight, oh well it was like $6 :roll:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I just have big hands! I have used both the remove-the-coolant-tank and the remove-the-inlet-hose approaches and I'm sticking to the inlet hose way!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
speedracer329 said:
my strap type oil filter wrench got bent because the stock filter was on soo damn tight, oh well it was like $6 :roll:
You clearly overpayed; I ran and got mine for a whopping $2.95 yesterday. It bent a little, too. I'm worried about getting the Kahuna off next time. I'll consider removing the hose instead of the reservoir. But, I have 4900 miles before I have to worry about that. :)

The job took about 4.5 quarts. Now I wish I had measured the oil remaining in the 5 quart jug so I'd have known exactly.

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
You can get the filter $2 cheaper at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Why go with a blend? If you splurge on the filter,
don't be cheap with the oil. There have been too many reports of oil sludge with the 1.8T.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My reading of the topics comes to mixed conclusions. I'm also not a "hard-driver". If you would like to steer me towards a consensus on synthetic?

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
So why spend the extra on the filter? The problem with blends,is that it could be
5%,it could be 10%. It's better than pure dino,but not the best.
Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com That should answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jweaks said:
Well, my new variant just reached 5k, so after reading these forums, I decided to "do-it-yourself" with the NAPA 1333 Big Kahuna (and a Syntec blend 5W-30) instead of going to a quicky-lube. I just went with conveniece for the first time around, and got the filter at the NAPA distribution store just up the highway for under $14.

The job will go much quicker next time, now that I know where everything is, including how to remove the belly pan. There was no way I could've reached the oil filter from below, so went from up top. You can see the radiator overflow container pulled back.

The original filter was part 06A 115 561B which I understand is the newer, larger OEM filter for the 1.8T, but it still was way smaller than the Big Kahuna. Someone under another topic said they measured the volume difference at 1/4 quart--I'd say it's gotta be at least that much if not more. The fit isn't alarmingly tight. It was easy enough to thread it. There is some room to maneuver.

But, in general, getting my arm down there was difficult. The original filter was on very tight, and it took alot of work using a strap-type filter wrench to get it to budge. The fittings on the tube across the opening, which I was afraid to try and disconnect, and other adjacent pieces scratched my skinny arm to pieces.

When I was done, I tried and discovered that there is not room to get my strap-type filter wrench around the Big Kahuna, so I'll have to get a different wrench type, and buy a 4 pack of Wix 51333 now that I know this thing works.
Well, just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
jweaks said:
You can see the radiator overflow container pulled back.
Err, you mean to the front :poke:
I did that to help the guy at pep boys change the filter on my car. Poor chap had scratched up his arm too trying to get at it from in between all the mess. And the filter was so darn tight it was almost crushed by the time he got it off using a wide wrench. :crazy:
Is there a special tool to put these filters on at the dealership? Sharky?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice write up. I will try the big filter next oil change on my wife’s B5. One thing I would suggest would be to use 5W40 instead of the 5w30. I believe on the 2000 it calls for that in the vw manual, and Bentley manual. It may be different for 2004.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The manual also says 5W30 I think. Wal-Mart didn't have a 5W40 that I saw. I went with the Castrol Syntec blend because it was only a couple dollars more for the 5 quart than for pure dynos. The conclusion at bobistheoil guy seems to me to be that blends are worth it, if the price is right.
( http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005884 )

I went with the larger filter even though I'm not a racing driver, both because the benefits as described in the original posts regarding an oversize filter don't seem to be high speed only, and because I have small genitalia. :shock:
(Unfortunately, it looks like the pics on the original post on the Big Kahuna are no longer avaialable, for that joke to make sense: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=691260&page=1 )

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PZ,
This makes me think I'm not interested in what goes on at your GTG's. You did pick up on the joke about compensating with a large filter for other deficiencies, I presume.

·
Registered
28,876 Posts
Oh,it was a joke? Must be a reason I was called MR. Sarcasm at my last job.
I guess I'll go for the smallest filter,nothing to make up for!

Last GTG we managed to fertilize the grass with cold beer. Check out the
pics,it was just last Saturday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.