Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
15,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a pic of a Passat taxi I took while in Athens:

And heres a pic of an A6 taxi that my cousin took while we were on the highway out of Athens:

If you noticed, one taxi is yellow, and the other is red with a white top. In Greece, every major city, including it's regions, have their own color taxi so you know where the taxi is from. Good to know if you're planning a trip to Greece. :D I have no idea where that red A6 is from though.

Yellow: Athens
Silver: Tripoli (where my family is from)
Burgundy: Naufplio
Blue w/ white top: Crete/Chania
...and many, many more

But another things is, people that are registered taxi drivers get to buy their automobiles at a HUGE discount, somewhere close to 50% of what the sticker is. So you'll notice a lot of the taxi's in Greece (outside of Athens) are actually fixed up with nice stereos, rims, etc. Mercedez though is the most popular choice for most taxi drivers. One of my buddies in Greece whose a taxi driver told me they can buy a C Class for 11,000 Euro's, an E Class for 25,000 Euro's and an S Class for 42,000 Euro's!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
man i wish we had those and not the old caprices and other ex-cop cars!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Skoda Suberb is a much better taxi than Passat. It is basically the same car as Passat, but with 10 cm longer wheelbase wich gives larger rear doors and more room for legs.

Superb is used as taxi here in Norway, but 90% of the taxi's over here are Mercedes E-Class.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Holy crap! An A6 taxi! Very very nice!

jwil, you think the Passat has a cramped back seat? I sat in the back when testing driving my B5, and I thuoght it was quite spacious, especially for a car it's size . . .

Regards,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Meltemie said:
I think the 1st 2 letters is for the word TAxi and the 3rd for the place that is your base ... like Athens is TA A
Good observation 8) Seems logical . . .

Bryan

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
jwil said:
I don't know how a Passat would make a good taxi with such a cramped back seat. :oops: The A6 otoh, would be nice.
They are used to "small spaces" in olde Europa. The Passat has relatively rear good legroom IMHO. I had 2 near 6-footers back there recently (first time I had "large" people in the back; usually its kids) and everyone was comfy. No need to move seat rakes around ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The GREEK said:
If you noticed, one taxi is yellow, and the other is red with a white top. ...

Yellow: Athens
Silver: Tripoli (where my family is from)
Also weird: why does that red-and-white A6 have "TAXI" -- a chi instead of a xi?

This explains why the taxi I took from Tripoli to Naufplio was a silver S-class. That was the craziest ride through the mountains I've ever taken. 80 km/h on mountain switchbacks and passing on the INSIDE of blind switchbacks.... But so worth the trip!

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,782 Posts
Also weird: why does that red-and-white A6 have "TAXI" -- a chi instead of a xi
It's the Greek alphabet, some use it some don't.

Spent the last three annual holidays in Greece, and having done a degree in Maths and being fairly up to speed on my Greek letters (thanks to the Maths) I was all set to get reading in Greek and trying to speak it too.

Typically they all spoke English and a great deal of the writing uses the English(!) alphabet, no need to even try, damn.

On the subject of taxis, over here in the UK they're all Vauxhalls (Opel, GM), Mercs, and Citroens. Passats are left as company cars, hence no styling addons.

Sam :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.