Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks pretty wierd to me. Right beside the starter. Any ideas? The VW dealer got authorization to tear into it today. It is in a 2001 1.8.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, VW is tearing it apart on their dime. Assuming it was a rod that snapped, wouldnt that have made a terrible noise. I didnt hear a thing and the car was still running smoothly for the few minutes after the smoke first appeared. I did notice a loss of power.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looks like it was a casting flaw in the engine block. Basically a "bubble" of air when the block was cast. Looks like it finally just blew out.

You're lucky VW is picking up the dime on this one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like it was a casting flaw in the engine block. Basically a "bubble" of air when the block was cast. Looks like it finally just blew out.

You're lucky VW is picking up the dime on this one.
As of right now, they are only picking up the dime to tear the motor apart to see whats going on. No decision yet on the new motor, but I am working on that:lol:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Exactly my thoughts, and I look at a lot of metal parts. How weird is that, VW castings are usually very well-made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called the dealer this afternoon to get the scoop on the tear down and the service advisor told me that the rod caused the hole. I then asked if the rod broke, a bearing gave loose, or what? She said, "oh, we didn't take the engine apart." Turns out the dealer did not tear into the engine but rather put it back on the lift and had the Shop Foreman to give his opinion. But I was told the Shop Foreman had been working on VW's since he was a kid and that he knew his stuff, so that was sufficient!!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
If it's a void, clean it out extremely well and fill it with a metal filled epoxy. It's not carrying any load, just holding the oil in the sump. Silicone may even work. You might want to take a dremel with a rasp bit to it to get a fresh surface.

As far as a thrown rod, turn the key and shut it off as soon as it fires. You'll know right away if it has a thrown rod. A fraction of a second of dry run won't hurt. These engines are tight and hold oil a long time.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
What about that dorky guy as the VW salesman? That was a casting flaw if I ever saw one...

:whistle:
Actually, I thought that was type casting. :)

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
I called the dealer this afternoon to get the scoop on the tear down and the service advisor told me that the rod caused the hole. I then asked if the rod broke, a bearing gave loose, or what? She said, "oh, we didn't take the engine apart." Turns out the dealer did not tear into the engine but rather put it back on the lift and had the Shop Foreman to give his opinion. But I was told the Shop Foreman had been working on VW's since he was a kid and that he knew his stuff, so that was sufficient!!
it doesn't really matter, so long as they're willing to cover the engine replacement.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as a thrown rod, turn the key and shut it off as soon as it fires. You'll know right away if it has a thrown rod. A fraction of a second of dry run won't hurt. These engines are tight and hold oil a long time.
The engine was running with the hole in it and there was zero noise. I pulled it right into the dealer bay area! Thats why I questioned their assumption of a rod.

·
Registered
294 Posts
same hole as in my sons block

that is the exact spot I have a hole in my sons , behind the starter, I replaced his engine and havnt got a chance to disassemble the old yet , but definately the rod put the hole through the block I can grab the rod with my fingers kthe whole is about 2.5 - 3" on my sons:thumbdown

1 - 20 of 58 Posts