Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lease on my 2001.5 V6 GLX 4Motion sedan is up soon and was thinking about buying a new variant instead (1.8t).

As much as I would like to get the 4Motion, I am having concerns about the amount of trunk space (especially the height -- roof to floor). I know on 4Motion sedans, the floor of the trunk is raised to accomodate all the extras under there and I'm assuming its the same with the variant.

Anyone have pics of their variant with their trunk open? Hopefully we can compare pics of a 4Motion vs. a non-4Motion. :)

Sorry this isn't a sexy "show me your ride" type of post... perhaps that will come after I get the new ride.

(and BTW, the seats in the 4Motion variant fold right?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Bump

(I'm kind of curious as well since we plan to upgrade our 2000 Variant to a 2004 4mo 5 speed in a couple of years, sorry, no photos of the inside of our variant)

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I had a 98 1.8T wagon, and currently have an 01 4Mo wagon... there is no diffeence in floor height on the wagons. There is a diff on the sedans, but not the wagons... IIRC, the floor is higher to begin with for the wagons to accomodate a perfectly flat area when the seats are folded forward.

Both the FWD wagon and the 4Mo wagon are speced out at the same 39 ft^3 for luggage space in the rear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 98 Wagon and the seats do not fold flat on mine. Close to flat, but not flat. The last time I tried it, I was hauling a bunch of cardboard boxes to the recycle center, perhaps they were not heavy enough.

Brett

·
6,165 Posts
You need flip up the rear seat bottoms (they are hinged on the front). Once flipped, you will notice that there are two holes on the back side of the seat cussion. Pull out the head rests, and insert then (facing backwards into the holes), now when you fole the seat back forward, notice that there is a notch under where the head rest was. This receives a tab that is located under the seat bottom.

Once the tab is inserted, you have a very firm and totally flat area :)

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I think this is to what you are referring:

Per vw.com, 2003 Passat Wagon Specs:

4 motion/non-4 motion
Trunk: 36 cubic feet/39 cubic feet (rear seats up)
54.6 cubic feet/56.5 cubic feet (rear seats folded)

·
6,165 Posts
Altair 4 said:

4 motion/non-4 motion
Very curious. The #'s I used were for 2001, and they were the same at 39 ft^3.... hmmm

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
pass-variant said:
Altair 4 said:

4 motion/non-4 motion
Very curious. The #'s I used were for 2001, and they were the same at 39 ft^3.... hmmm
Maybe due to the B5.5 facelift? I dunno.

·
Registered
776 Posts
pass-variant said:
I had a 98 1.8T wagon, and currently have an 01 4Mo wagon... there is no diffeence in floor height on the wagons. There is a diff on the sedans, but not the wagons... IIRC, the floor is higher to begin with for the wagons to accomodate a perfectly flat area when the seats are folded forward.

Both the FWD wagon and the 4Mo wagon are speced out at the same 39 ft^3 for luggage space in the rear.
So is the area under the floor for the spare smaller then? In mine there is a full size (ok, 15") alloy in there, do you end up with a limited use spare for 4mo?

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2003 4mo wagon has a mini spare that uses up the entire cavity. You can't store anything other that the spare and soft items i.e gloves, towel, etc.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
in my 03" non-4-motion there is a compartment on the left where the Cd changer is and another compartment on the opposite side of the trunk (labeled for emergency kit) where I keep a small medical kit and a tool kit. I am not sure if the 4-motions have both of those compartments. I also have a full 15" spare on a steel wheel.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Marie said:
My 2003 4mo wagon has a mini spare that uses up the entire cavity. You can't store anything other that the spare and soft items i.e gloves, towel, etc.
Really? I thought all Passats had a full size spare. That's a surprise to me.

PS: What are the little black thingies on the back of the seats for? I had to go out and look at my own variant, thinking "I know I don't have those!" But I do. What are they?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can't compare to a prior Variant, but my 2004 GLS 4Mo Variant has a flat, fold down floor --- per prior posts --- although the front seat position may no longer be comfortable for a taller or long-legged person when the rear seat cushions are folded forward. This series has the same emergency gear and tools/CD player compartments as other Variants. To the best of my knowledge, full-size spare is included --- but not in the W8, where a compact spare is included.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You need flip up the rear seat bottoms (they are hinged on the front). Once flipped, you will notice that there are two holes on the back side of the seat cussion. Pull out the head rests, and insert then (facing backwards into the holes), now when you fole the seat back forward, notice that there is a notch under where the head rest was. This receives a tab that is located under the seat bottom.

Once the tab is inserted, you have a very firm and totally flat area :)
Thank you holmes for bringing up this dead thread! I am sorry I don't know what box you are speaking of, mine is missing. But I have owned my B5.5 wagon for a year now and never knew the seat bottoms lifted up until now! The plastic pulls were tucked underneath the bottoms and i never thought to pull up on the seat. I am overjoyed. :bowdown:

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
Not to pull up a dead thread, but what is the metal box in the top of the medical cubby? I have one in my 2004 1.8t FWD 5sd.
That is the AMP for the stereo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
13 Participants
holmess879
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing