Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... As the Passat is progressing to what i want it to be, engine work will begin soon on it and i needed to have a daily driver while it is going to be worked on. Now that the Passat has been paid off, i rather limit the miles on it and drive it at my leisure.

I went to the East coast for work to train and certify some people and ended up driving back, taking 1 week and 4000 miles in my new ride, a 1992 Golf GTI 2.0 16V. I really don't like the wheels on the car but that's what came with it and it will do until summer ;) . My friend and co-worker Andy came along for the ride to help drive. We had a blast, starting in Virginia and ending in Washington State.

Here is a quick review of the trip (short review ;) )

Norfolk, Virginia
chesapeake bay bridge to Maryland
Delaware
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New York, New York
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Boston, Massachusetts
back thru New York state to go to Niagra Falls
short cut thru Pennsylvania from Niagra Falls
thru Ohio (Cleveland, Toledo)
Indiana
Chicago Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
South Dakota
Montana
Idaho
and finally to our great Pacific Northwest, Washington.

Here is a few pics of the car during the trip, i will post more later, with the car clean and some shots of the trip as well :thumbup:

Chesapeake bay bridge, Virginia

New york & Manhattan

Audi A8 W12 near Ground Zero :)

Woke up to snow in Geneva New York (awesome little town)

Dirty in Niagra Falls

Chicago

Mount Rushmore South Dakota

Crazy Horse South Dakota (awesome)

More pics will come soon, hope you like :thumbup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
tape????

been wondering y people use blue tape to wrap up the hood and fenders..is it so bugs dont splatter on it or what???

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NoneRock said:
Sounds like it was a great trip. Were you planning on buying the car on your trip?

I have been tring to find a nice 16V MK2 for a while now.
I was planning on buying the car yes, since i was going to work in that area, i saw that one and i have been looking for a 2.0 16V GTi for a while (used to have one before, missed it :) ) so i figured i could work, take a week vacation behind it and bring it back :thumbup:

ryan8186 said:
I actually really like the wheels. Sweet ride :thumbup:
Thanks :thumbup: , but i still want some BBS for this bad boy :p , and those are too big for the car (17's) and i get quite a bit of rubbing in turns, i need to raise the coils a bit.

turbo2000 said:
Damn, thats quite a trip! Looks like a lot of fun though. Any plans for the GTI?
I do have plan for the GTI but it will not be until next year, since i am doing a full Turbo upgrade on the :b5: this year before Waterwagens. Once i am ready to do the upgrades on the GTI, it will be fully stripped down, resprayed, wheels, and then i will do a full conversion (motor) to a VR6 out of a Corrado and turbo as well :)

QfactorB5.5 said:
it is to avoid rock chips and other stupid winter crap all over the roads in states that get snow...

Q
Exactly :thumbup: . Here is your answer Smashedg :)

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
QfactorB5.5 said:
it is to avoid rock chips and other stupid winter crap all over the roads in states that get snow...

Q
Also to increase the cars aerodynamic stability and if the tape is Blue its +10hp to the wheels.

Looks like a fun trip...since my car has been in the shop for the past 5 weeks :banghead: its had be searching for a cheap daily. Id love a cheap MK1 or MK2 to mess around with.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rollininstyle2004 said:
since my car has been in the shop for the past 5 weeks :banghead: its had be searching for a cheap daily. Id love a cheap MK1 or MK2 to mess around with.
I hear that, and i got attached to this little box, so much fun. The motor was rebuilt about 12,000 miles ago and it has a lighten flywheel and a short shift + weight is barely past 2400LBS, i am having way too much fun sometimes :D :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^^^ jealous... That is an awesome looking GTI! I love single round badgeless setups so much that I want a golf just for that mod... Maybe when I win the ngp rallye i'll convert that. (kidding, kidding). Looked like a fun trip- :thumbup:

·
Registered
347 Posts
rocks

thanks....only reason i asked about the tape is because i have a road trip of my own to go on....long island to mt sutton canada.. so i would be driving through snowy state..i figured thats what it was for but i just wanted to ask... :bowdown:

anyone ever go to mt sutton for a snow boarding trip...if so how was the mt, town area:poke: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Hot ride Yannick. I've been biding my time till I can throw a little cash at something like that myself. I can't wait to see it in person, maybe get a ride.... :poke:

BTW, I love this pic the best.

Head to head with the bull baby.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
:Yikes::Yikes::Yikes: daaaaaammmmnn Yannick! love the new ride, even the wheels! Congratulations! (me jealous now!) :thumbup:
make sure to post more close ups and stuff of the mk2!

oh and nice pics too!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts