Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front right door seems to be a little off...See how the chrome piping doesn't line up from the end of the front door to the beginning of the rear?

Here's a close up of the weatherseal...looks like the outside of the door is a bit high or something...

Also, look at these two pics of the top of the windshield:

Does this mean the windshield was replaced, or is the weather seal just peeling? What should I do?

Are either of these problems major enough to be concerned and not buy the car? Should the price be reduced for them?

Here's a nice pic of the car: Looks good otherwise...

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,107 Posts
if it was banged, they did a pretty good job matching the paint...have you had the VIN checked?
car looks clean and waxed, which is a good sign, not too sure about those moldings though, i wouldnt jump into it unless i was fully sure of it...good luck :)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Both of this can or can't mean nothing/something.

The door can be aligned, maybe they were taking out door for some minor reason and failed to set it correct
Same for windshield, maybe had puncture from stone and they changed it.

In same time it can tell you that there was heavy impact on right side of car, check thorougly front right side of car, matching of colors on front and rear doors,etc. Ask info on carfax.Check fit of door and fender.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The car was probably involved in an accident.

It appears it had a crash from the right sidea, like nenad said... You can also open the hood and look from the inside if you see any kind of body work has been apparently done. When I bought mine the rear bumper was not correctly put and I asked why was that...

they told me the car had an "parking touch" with a electricity pole in the supermarket while parking... I opened the trunk, took off the extra wheel and it was very clear that a lot of body work has been done there.

It was a 2001 with 30,000 miles on it and they asked 12,000 dolars. When I saw that I told him that I would only pay 8,500... and took it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Rub your finger on the frount of the drivers door inside by the hindge, it will feel smoth. Then do the same for the passangers door, if it feels rough the door was re-painted. The reason for this is that the paint at the factory is applied an never needs buffing. On a repaint the paint needs to be buffed to eliminate the frough feeling. You can' do this on the end of the doors.

This is my first post to this group, I get my Passat tommorow.

Greg

·
Registered
659 Posts
The two short weather-strip pieces on either side of the front windshield: my two pieces came off over two years ago, even though I used protectant on them. I have not experienced any problems due to their being missing. When I inquired about a replacement seal, I was informed by a dealership and an independent glass company that the only way to get a new seal is to order a completely new windshield kit. If anyone knows different, please speak up.

Concerning the top of the door: my ’99 driver’s side door has a minor resemblance (window pillar flaring at the top). However, mine is not nearly that bad. My B5 has never been in an accident.

If you are concerned about accident damage, you have, at least, three choices. Run a CARFAX report using the VIN#. Two, take the car to a respected body shop and have them look at it. They should be able to tell within five minutes. Three, get a fluorescent light and inspect the car in the dark (this is the least preferred method since I assume you are not an automotive bodywork expert). Each method involves some amount of cash. This expenditure is miniscule compared to the investment and headaches you face if you buy a lemon.

Overall, the car looks very nice. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I can only speak of the windshield. My previous 2000 GLS had the same "wings" at the top corners of the windshield. It was like that from the factory, and had never been replaced or anything, I bought it new. I never had a leak. Joe.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone,

Thanx for the help!

I am having b5bel check it out next week. I'm more worried about the engine and related problems (since this car has 62K miles on it).

I don't think it's been in an accident though. I definitely CARFAXed it, and check the gaps between body panels.

However, I guess I could have been more careful about rough paint on the edges. I did check for that on the hood, but didn't on any of the doors. I also need to check under the body, because I heard most body shops don't cover up welding as much down there.

From what you guys are saying, it seems like I shouldn't have too much to worry about when it comes to the weather stripping? So it's happened to you guys too?

Thanks again, as I get closer to *really* joining the club!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.