Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

401 - 420 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
lol, wow - even I am not that much of a noob o_O
(referring to the posts of fre-777, not the OP .. [you wouldn't by chance be named Geoffry (Jeffrey) would you?] )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi captainfantastic,
I have been spying your thread eversince you started it...sorry for that :) but I admire your car very much and apart from some details I truely love it!

I want to ask you something... How have you changed the look of your rear lights? Is it done by some spray, or you bought some kind of self-adhesive tapes? Thanks! :)

Best regards from Slovakia

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Hi Sparco.
This is a self-adhesive strip, usually used for making decors on the outside (Trim-line by 3M), with a 3mm width. I attached it on the de-greased backlights to achieve a "tinted" look, without getting too dark. Sticks there since ~8yrs. Still the first set

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Mr. Captain,

You should be commended for your car and the tasteful modifications. I have watched your thread for some time but never commented.

I am curious how you find driving with the BBS CHs, what do you find different versus the OEM size wheels?

Keep up the good work and let me know if you are ever in the area.:salute:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you very much, I was wondering about chaning the OEM rear lights with the ones from B5.5 but since I want to have the original B5 look, I want to modify them a little bit and I think I will do it the same way as you did ;) Thanks a lot

@ hu vw - I can answer your question as well...

Don´t think about buying 19" wheels until you change also your suspension. Passat B5 and B5.5 looks very high on stock suspension even on 15" so I hope you get my point ;)

It is better to buy the whole set with adjustable hight, because after a short period of time you will want to go even lower ;)

One thing is sure - your car will became more tough and you will feel every hole more but don´t be affraid of this, after a while you´ll learn how to control your car and how not to fall in every hole...

And you´ll surely love corners ;)

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
@huVW
Like Sparco wrote.

Curves are really my friends :lol:

Cons: minor performance (because of the additional weight)
negative mpg ratio (not that much)
pricey on replacement :cry:

If you want to be pretty, you have to suffer....:lol:

BTW: Thanks for your friendly comment.
Any comment is appreciated

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Sirs

As the dedicated followers of this thread know, i have some rust probs on my "blue-money sucking-bitch" :cry:

I bought a B5.5 hatch, but by the matter of fact that this one was complete "empty", had a dent and i had to fabricate a new harness, i sold this one and bought a used B5 hatch (looks nicer IMO, anyway) for 90€. Then a body-shop removed the screen and filled the rear badge hollow with tin (80€).
I have a fitting set for the screen here in stock (15€) and have to give the whole thing to a paint shop this month.

Because my hatch handle broke last year (and was repaired by me), i thought that purchasing a new handle would be a good idea, because the hatch will be painted anyway.

I had a second construction place in this area.......
I was really pissed by the unreliability of my LED licence plate bulbs.

So i shopped a bit.........
and did a Bimmer-mod.......:D

BMW parts:

Licence-plate lamp:

2x 63 26 7 193 293

Housing:

2x 61 13 6 925 634

Wire:

4x 61 13 0 005 197

VW parts:

Housing:

1x 535 972 712

Wire:

1x 000 979 132

Then i picked my Dremel removed the holding-clamp, and grinded off all noses and latches:

Two edges had to be matched to the trunk handle:

You can see the difference in the pic

A new acces for power and ground supply was made too:

OEM:

Modded:

Now the wires had to be connected.
The soldered spots are insulated with a shrinking hose (Has to be perfected, i have no acces to a heat gun now and a lighter is an emergency solution IMO)

The wires (supply) has to be cross-soldered because Pin1/2 is switched taken from VW to BMW

For installation in the handle it´s needed to drill two holes into the Lamp housing.
Because a gap is generated by the grinding job, i filled the gap up with polyester resin to make sure that there is enough "flesh" at hand for the fixing hole

I´ll post pics of the working product, when my new "old" hatch is installed

THX for looking

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Awesome work, Michael.... can't wait to see the finished product installed and painted.

You ARE CaptainFantastic!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Sirs

The hatch is painted but not installed now. The screen and the spoiler have to be removed from the actual hatch in twoo weeks.
The roof is painted too, rails are back on the car.
I have fabricated a set of rubber gaskets to replace the shitty OEM parts :mad:

Pics with the working lightening will follow ASAP.

Now we come to something complete different........:D

Made an e-gay find two weeks ago:

Those are hard to find here, and coming from a Bora
IMO they look more sporty than the OEM ones ( as far as a Passat is able to look sporty :lol: )

THX for looking

·
murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat
11,170 Posts
Very nice Michael, my cheap Chinese license plate led bulbs seem to be holding up greatly so far, but damn I'd love to get BMW ones. :)

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
:thumbup: :wrench: :salute:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

BTW, that headliner should be black or blue to match. ;)

You, are evil, Sir :p

Actually i had the idea of a blue, colormatching Alcantara headliner, framed by black Nappa leather and leather covered pillars.
We´re talking about ~600-800€
Without black visors, handles airbrushed dome lights, clock and sunglass-boxes....:banghead:

@fusel
Welcome to the show my friend :D

@all
This board is infiltrated by germans....:lol:

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
Sirs

I dismounted the rear hatch-spoiler today.
No big deal (in contrast to the statements of :body-shop, paint-shop nd garage...:lookout: :crazy: )

I used a massive cutter-knife and a piece of 0,5mm inox filament.
Lasted 0.5 hrs

The spoiler will definitely be re-mounted on the new hatch.
I dislike the look without it......:puke:

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
me too, but it will be only off for a bit, then back to FANTASTIC!!;)All wagons should have come with these on, or at least an option to add when buying new.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Sirs

Hatch is changed since last weekend :)

The original feedthrough of the lightening harness was optimized a bit :

It´s a little bit difficult for changing the hatch handle now, but this wasn´t planned to be added to my hobbies anyway :p

This area is sealed now, and this cunts.

The screen is bonded now. The genuine gasket is missing, but isn´t really needed. Far from it: It´s better without the gasket.
Why???
Caused by the capillar effect, dust gets beneath the gasket, rubs off the paint and causes the known rust -prob.

The Bimmer LED lightening works fine too:

No flickering lights anymore.....:thumbup:

For meetings i made a licence plate from 3mm alloy.
It was painted at the paintshop while my car was there:

I fabricated two brackets from stainless steel to fix the front licence plate on the lower grille without drilling any hole.
Need some opinions on this.

Before:

After:

The rear spoiler will be bonded next WE

THX for looking

401 - 420 of 610 Posts
About this Discussion
609 Replies
143 Participants
captainfantastic
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing