Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Among my favorite cars in the world. I'd easily pass on many European supercars for your machine. I love it so much I have mu sights set on the (highly anticipated) '06 Cobra.

If you EVER have a lapse of judgement & decide you want to seel her, please consider me. I will seriously find the funds.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sweet. I like that you haven't made it a Mach clone. I like the absence of graphics, myself. Unless, of course, you are planning to add them later, eh?
:oops:
I see you are missing some trim pieces. Re-chroming?

What seats are those? And which motor inside?

I'll have one someday, to match my coupe (self-restored too).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OKay, I've got all but one of the crome pieces for the front, and I've got old side marker lamps that I could re-install, but I just haven't yet. I wasn't planning to add the Mach 1 or Boss 302 graphics, because I really don't like them (if I had a 65-68 I'd for sure add the GT stripe, but the 69s have enough "flair" to get by without).
The seats are cloth Recaros that came with the car, very comfy and lots of bolstering.

The engine is a 302 that the previous owner put in (along with a 5 speed out of a fox body (T-5) and 9 inch 3.55 traction lock rear end. I rebuilt the top end of the engine (it burnt oil that I determined was valve stem seals), replaced the stock heads with heavily ported 351C heads (1.90 int 1.64 exh), replaced the cam (it was a torquey Comp Cams) with an Edelbrock Performer RPM (Adv. Duration: Int/Exh 290°/300° Duration @ .050'': 224°/234° Lift .490/ .510, Lobe Seps. 112°), to match the Performer RPM intake manifold, Holley 650 CFM carb, 1 3/4 inch equal step length Tri-Y headers, 2.5 inch dual exh with crossover going back to two Flowmasters. It revvs to about 6500 rpm, hasn't been on the dyno, but if you can believe Edelbrock, then it should put out 350 hp at the flywheel.

I also added a later model mag pickup ignition with wide cap adaptor and MSD 6AL ignition (MSD is the bomb, that multiple spark stuff really works, the car went from smelling like a refinery at idle to purring like kitten and no more gassy smell). Most recently I have rebuilt the power steering control valve, replaced the master brake cylinder and added a manual proportional valve control. Next is to replace some of the 10 year old aftermarket springs and shocks, it rides okay, but they are getting ugly.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
PassatX said:
I wasn't planning to add the Mach 1 or Boss 302 graphics, because I really don't like them (if I had a 65-68 I'd for sure add the GT stripe, but the 69s have enough "flair" to get by without). ....
'69 was the last year of the GT option, so you could still do it and be "correct" . GT option was the stripe, hood scoop, and at least the 351, the special "GT" gas cap, and that was pretty much it, I think. Hood was body color.

The 302 is my favorite motor, tho.... Sound like a nice setup.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem I have with 69 and 70 side stripes is that they are half way up the door.

On 65-68 they are more like

While on the 69, 70 they were up higher

Same with the Mach 1 stripe.

I just don't like it.
Same with the 69 Boss 302 C-stripe.

The 70 boss hockey stick stripe is okay,

but then it really has to go with a 70 Boss hood stripe, but I've got a black hood similar to 69 Mach1 and Boss 302, so the end of the stripe would look wierd, but people have done it.

I have the black Boss 302 rear wing (like in the above two photos) but I haven't put it on yet, because I haven't decided if I like it or not. Any opinions on the wing?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.