Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm working on the control arm replacement. I pull out my new fcs lower rear control arm and it seems different than the stock one. The new one is shorter, has a bigger ball joint and the taper is not as long. My car is a 2000 and I thought the change in taper occurred in 2003 and made the taper longer and thinner. I had found a picture of this which is what led to those conclusions, but now I can't find that picture. Anyone know where it is offhand so that I can find out whether I was given the wrong part. BTW, I know about the bushing coming out of the housing and mine did not.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking about the rear ones. The FCP Euro kit's rear arms have the same taper as the original, but the tapered portion is only about 3/4 as long as the original TRW ones. I fit the FCP ones up and they fit in properly, but they definitely were not the same dimensions as the originals. When I have a chance I will post pictures. When I saw the different tapered dimensions I thought of the fronts and got confused as to which side the change was made on.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think this is a big deal, more a curiousity than anything else, but I am 100 percent sure that the new cone is shorter than the original. I looked at it very closely, because I got worried that it was the wrong one.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't measure it and there're in the car now, but the difference was only the length of the "cone" part. The meaurement VAGguy is talking about appeared to be roughly the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.