Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,953 Posts
Just a question here. Does taper look like its shorter on the new control arm because it hasn't been installed and compressed the dust boot a little?
The old one clearly shows how the dust boot is not as 'fat' if you will, as the new one.
I think you'll find when you put the new control arm in and seat the taper it will push the dust boot down a bit.
I don't think the boot will compress once installed. I could be mistaken but doesn't it have a washer below the boot to prevent the boot from coming in actual contact once it's installed?

· Registered
1,953 Posts
I don't think this is a big deal, more a curiousity than anything else, but I am 100 percent sure that the new cone is shorter than the original. I looked at it very closely, because I got worried that it was the wrong one.
From your picture it does look like the new tapered piece is shorter than the original.

VAGguy you are correct in that there is no washer. I thought. On the larger end of the flare there was a washer of some sort. What I was looking at I believe is part of the dust boot (looks like a black washer) next to where the ring clip holds the boot in place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.