Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm working on the control arm replacement. I pull out my new fcs lower rear control arm and it seems different than the stock one. The new one is shorter, has a bigger ball joint and the taper is not as long. My car is a 2000 and I thought the change in taper occurred in 2003 and made the taper longer and thinner. I had found a picture of this which is what led to those conclusions, but now I can't find that picture. Anyone know where it is offhand so that I can find out whether I was given the wrong part. BTW, I know about the bushing coming out of the housing and mine did not.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
Wait, there should be NO difference in the REAR lower control arm; the front one is the change. The FRONT one is the one that the shock attaches to. Are we talking about the same thing?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
That would be correct. The change was on the front lower control arm which is the one that shock/strut mounts to.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
This is the 'front' lower control arm for '98 up to split in 2003'
The tapered part is larger in diameter and the threaded portion is shorter than the later model control arms.
For vehicles with a VIN up to 3-072000

This is the 'front' lower control arm for '2003 after split'
The tapered part is smaller in diameter and the threaded portion is longer than the earlier model control arms.
For vehicles with a VIN from 3-072000

Here is an example of the nuts that may or may not come with control arms.
In both cases for newer and older style, the larger of the (2) nuts MUST be used. The smaller nut is no good and can result in separation of lower control from spindle knuckle.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking about the rear ones. The FCP Euro kit's rear arms have the same taper as the original, but the tapered portion is only about 3/4 as long as the original TRW ones. I fit the FCP ones up and they fit in properly, but they definitely were not the same dimensions as the originals. When I have a chance I will post pictures. When I saw the different tapered dimensions I thought of the fronts and got confused as to which side the change was made on.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Just a question here. Does taper look like its shorter on the new control arm because it hasn't been installed and compressed the dust boot a little?
The old one clearly shows how the dust boot is not as 'fat' if you will, as the new one.
I think you'll find when you put the new control arm in and seat the taper it will push the dust boot down a bit.

Reactions: B5 Money Pit and PZ

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Just a question here. Does taper look like its shorter on the new control arm because it hasn't been installed and compressed the dust boot a little?
The old one clearly shows how the dust boot is not as 'fat' if you will, as the new one.
I think you'll find when you put the new control arm in and seat the taper it will push the dust boot down a bit.
I don't think the boot will compress once installed. I could be mistaken but doesn't it have a washer below the boot to prevent the boot from coming in actual contact once it's installed?

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
They do not have a washer. The boot does compress a little once installed. Also, the nut included is not that big of a deal. I tend to reuse the original hardware as long as it's in good condition and not one time use specified.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think this is a big deal, more a curiousity than anything else, but I am 100 percent sure that the new cone is shorter than the original. I looked at it very closely, because I got worried that it was the wrong one.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,307 Posts
if you measure from the tip of the threads to the base of the boot where it meets the metal arm, is it different? If so, how much?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't think this is a big deal, more a curiousity than anything else, but I am 100 percent sure that the new cone is shorter than the original. I looked at it very closely, because I got worried that it was the wrong one.
From your picture it does look like the new tapered piece is shorter than the original.

VAGguy you are correct in that there is no washer. I thought. On the larger end of the flare there was a washer of some sort. What I was looking at I believe is part of the dust boot (looks like a black washer) next to where the ring clip holds the boot in place.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Get a digital or dial caliper measuring tool. Measure near the lower end of the cone on old and new. I bet they are virtually the same size and dimension. Andreas and PZ are correct--the eyball difference comes because you are looking at the uncompressed boot of the new part and discerning that the tapers are different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.