Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, darn, Im at 60K miles now and dealer is saying rear brakes are AGAIN shot, and I need new pads/rotors (first ones doe at 33K).

Just need quick answers:

1. What is the best aftermarket brake pads available for our cars? I am reluctant for metal imbedded brake pads because my experience with them on other cars is that it takes time for them to warm up before they stop well.

I remember Mintex Red Box had quality problems earlier this year.

2. I don't mind keeping it stock, but is there anyway to get more miles out of the stock pad/rotor setup?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I have good experience with EBC Green Stuff on Brembo rotors.
ATE makes good rotors, and PBR makes good pads.
A lot of people run those.
Other than altering your driving/ braking style I don't think a whole bunch of difference in longevity can be achieved.
The metal on those rotors is pretty thin.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I like EBC RedStuff pads and EBC Sport rotors, front and back. Can't go wrong with a matched set, because it's one less reason for the manufacturer to screw me over if they wear out really fast. Not that they are wearing out fast, mind you -- I have no evidence that they're wearing at all; they took over 1000 miles to bed properly, and there's almost no dust on my wheels even after driving them for several thousand miles in stop/go traffic with no car washes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other than altering your driving/ braking style I don't think a whole bunch of difference in longevity can be achieved.
If there is no increase in longevity, then why pick aftermarket pads?

1. They cost less?

2. Less brake dust?

3. Stop better?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like EBC RedStuff pads and EBC Sport rotors, front and back. Can't go wrong with a matched set, because it's one less reason for the manufacturer to screw me over if they wear out really fast. Not that they are wearing out fast, mind you -- I have no evidence that they're wearing at all; they took over 1000 miles to bed properly, and there's almost no dust on my wheels even after driving them for several thousand miles in stop/go traffic with no car washes.
Do these perform as well as stock pads/rotors?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Randy -
1 - there are much better pads than OEM out there - for less money. Mintex, EBC and Axxis(PBR) all make aftermarket pads. OEM pads are typically sold under the Pagid brand name. I put a set of Axxis Ultimates on. They are dustier than OEM, but stop ASAP. The Axxis Deluxe pads supposedly are less dusty that OEM pads, and they stop better, with less fade.

2 - Rotors - Get a set of plain face rotors, no need to go slotted or drilled for the rears unless you are going to track or autocross your car.

3 - Make sure you flush and change your brake fluid.

4 - A great place to look - www.getcoolparts.com or http://www.stopshopanddrive.com/. When I replaced my rears last year, I think I paid ~$80 for a pair of new rotors and pads. I got them at getcoolparts. I also picked up some brake fluid locally - something like $25 for two liters. Did the work myself - it took about 1.5 hours.

Good luck

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
Me too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts