Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$600 - 2002 GLS Sedan, 1.8L Automatic, 147k miles. No start, but I am 90% sure it is the CPS. I have a list of about 20 things that need attention, including the usual dropping of the oil pan to check the pickup screen and rebuilding the clogged PCV system. Otherwise it seems in pretty good condition. Compression test shows all 4 cylinders between 140 and 150 psi, which is great for the mileage. Blue silver metallic, clear coat needs some attention.

Should be an easy turnaround to a happy new owner!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
Are changing TB/WP, MAF, O2 Sensors, ATF, and frond end suspension on that list?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATF yes, though it is risky if it has never been done before. The car seems to have been decently maintained, not neglected. Amazingly there are no DTCs in there, so I won't need to change sensors.

Once I get it running, I'll determine the need for any suspension components. The CV boots are intact and tires and brakes are good.

The TB had to have been changed once. I like to establish a baseline for the new owner, so I will probably change it (but then I have to charge $250 more on the resale).

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,611 Posts
ATF yes, though it is risky if it has never been done before.
If you're planning to sell it then I would also say stay away from it unless there is a specific and noticeable issues with the tranny like leaks or slow shift.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a runner now! Turns out it was the ABS fuse #7 that was causing the ECM to deny power to some circuits, including the fuel pump.

In my quest I also found the CTS was bad (huge resistance reading) so I replaced it.

Took it for a drive and noted some clacking from the passenger CV. Possibly a bad shock absorber there as well. Lastly, the CCT is noisy, so all the more reason to drop the oil pan and check the screen.

Yes, I will have to think on the AT fluid change. It seemed to shift okay, including in tip mode. Just a little slow engaging reverse.
P.S. I hate Passat automatics.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the impossible possible?

Digging into this engine now and I believe it has the original TB! o_O This car has 147,590 miles! I didn't think that was possible. I was always under the impression that going over 110,000 miles on a belt, was chancy and 120,000 miles was borrowed time and asking for imminent trouble.

This is unprecedented in my knowledge base. Has anyone else ever encountered either OEM or aftermarket timing components (belt, tensioner, water pump) all lasting 18 years and 147k miles?

It appears the only serious work ever done to this car was dropping the oil pan, due to the infamous low oil pressure warning.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
On of my cars was near 100k miles with an original belt. I would grit my teeth with anticipation every time I started that car.
That's nowhere near what you've got though. 😲

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Reactions: dihedral

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,287 Posts
It's a runner now! Turns out it was the ABS fuse #7 that was causing the ECM to deny power to some circuits, including the fuel pump.

In my quest I also found the CTS was bad (huge resistance reading) so I replaced it.

Took it for a drive and noted some clacking from the passenger CV. Possibly a bad shock absorber there as well. Lastly, the CCT is noisy, so all the more reason to drop the oil pan and check the screen.

Yes, I will have to think on the AT fluid change. It seemed to shift okay, including in tip mode. Just a little slow engaging reverse.
P.S. I hate Passat automatics.
If you need axles, let me know. ;)

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
I've seen a V6 Passat timing belt with 110K on it when I changed it. Visually it was fine, but it was a bit loose. I still have the original belt on our 05 Golf, bought in 10/04 but it only has 64K and will be changed soon as my son is swapping out for his wagon (with 200K higher miles).

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This belt and tensioner are going on my Wall of Fame for parts. Right next to the factory brake pads from my 2002 Jetta. Those lasted 200k miles of normal driving (not all highway).

Either VAG makes some really good parts on occassion, or 2002 was just a really good year for them?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a break I'm back at it trying to get this one finished and ready for sale. Ordered upper control arms and four shocks. Picked up a leather wrapped steering wheel at the junkyard too! Last thing (I hope) will be replacing the downpipe that has a bad flex section.

Had to pay a shop to remove the pinch bolts from the steering knuckles, what a bear!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts