Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know... I know... this thread is uesless without pics. But anyways, just drove home an 04 touareg V6... offroad gray with kristal leather, premium package and upgraded stereo. Got it for $800 under invoice before $500 loyalty cash... not a bad deal I think. It's only got 39 miles on it, but so far I am completely amazed with this vehicle. It's absolutely incredible. Kept the B5... traded in the 01 Rodeo. Kind of a sad moment, since the Rodeo has been a great car, but I'll get over it pretty quickly. The egg will be driven by mainly my wife, and by me on more than an occasion. Just wanted to share the joy!!! :D :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ijust went downstairs to the garaged and confirmed.... it's still there... I wasn't dreaming. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Congratulations. I hope you and your wife enjoy the T-Reg.

One question though, why did you go w/ the V6? In my opinion, 5000+lbs. is way too much for the V6 to handle. I read in Consumer Reports that it does 0-60 in the 12 second range which not only makes it one of the slowest vehicle in its price range, but also one of the slowest vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In my opinion, it's got plenty of power. It feels much faster than 12 seconds... I try not to pay attention to the numbers because I've seen tests for the V6 anywhere from the mid 9's all the way to 12. We didn't buy it to haul ass, it's incredibly smooth and quiet and gets us where we need to go. If I need an adrenaline rush... well, that's where the chipped B5 comes into play. I just couldn't see shelling out another $5k for the V8. We loved the V6 so much that we decided not to test drive a V8, thereby avoiding the temptations of overspending. I tested a V6 pulling our 2800 pound boat, and it did better than the rodeo, which is pretty good. If you want a rocket, the v6 is not for you, but it is buttery smooth and eerily quiet across the entire range.
Consumer Guide (not CR) says 9.2 0-60 for the v6, VW says 9.4.
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/37549

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
A 24-valve VR6 EuroVan does 0-60 in the mid to high 11's. But because of all the low end torque, it doesnt feel slow (unless you floor it). In fact, it actually feels kinda quick under "normal" acceleration - shifting below 3000 rpms.

I imagine the V6 Touareg is also geared for low-end torque as well. It probably has similar power delivery as the EuroVan.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually to be honest, all we really bought it for was the OEM washer fluid. Probably among my top 5 favorite smells.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Post up some pics of the cozy VW couple together... I just bought my B5 and a T-Reg for the missus is next on the list...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picture of the cozy VW couple... the cars or a my wife and I? Just kidding... They are both looking stunning right now.. I gave the B5 some love yesterday because I didn't want it to feel neglected, so there will be a photo shoot later today.

I'll post reports every once in a while to let everyone know how reliable it is. It's an incredibly complex vehicle, but it also has a pretty hi VIN #, which some speculate as being quite significant in the T-Reg reliability world.

It doesn't make sense to compare the ride to my B5... it's a totally different animal. It's much smoother and at cruise speed, you honestly can only hear the tires, nothing else... that's what got me more than anything... How quiet it is. It handles incredibly well for a 5000 lb SUV.... Night and day from the rodeo in terms of body roll.. I remain very impressed with the handling, even without the air suspension.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
vitaminB5 said:
....but it also has a pretty hi VIN #, which some speculate as being quite significant in the T-Reg reliability world.
It definately is important.

If you have those Grandtrek tires, watch the fronts very carefully for cupping.

Have it aligned at the first sign of wear-I have yet to see a Touareg that was aligned correctly from the factory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts