Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new vehicle for the wife over the weekend.
Wife wanted / needed a bigger vehicle because our needs and lifestyle will be changing here in the very near future.
It's not what I would normally pick as a first choice, but I knew the owner and the opportunity presented itself. I couldn't pass this deal up.
It fit's right into with what we are needing as we go forward with our plans going from apartment life to a home and property in the middle of nowhere.

2016 TOYOTA RAV4 Limited - 30k miles.

Reactions: PZ and VAGguy

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So this means the wife's Passat GLX will be going up for sale here shortly.

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
21 Posts
The RAV is a great little vehicle. My best friend owns two. Over the years, the six-cylinder engines have been harder and harder to find.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,905 Posts
PW user beaumisbro had this year Rav4 Hybrid for his wife before they traded it in on an Arteon. Reliable as the sun, but the gas pedal is basically a volume knob for the engine.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well here's that list of Vintage Iron.
5 Passat's right now. Three W8's and two V6's.
1999 Chevy 3500 cube van.
1966 Ford F250 4x4 pick-up.
And now the 2016 Toyota RAV4

It's a used car lot!

Even though my wife's car is the one I've invested the most time and money, it's one of the ones that needs to go.
It's a nice car, I just prefer manual transmission and her car is the only one that's automatic.
I'll also be selling one of the W8's here soon.
The other thing is insurance, I'm paying on these vehicles that just sit around. Not very financially sound on my part. My insurance is cheap from having a great driving record but I can think of a lot better / smarter things to do with that money.

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Selling one of the W8's, you say?
Wouldn't you like a nice 1.8T 5MT sedan in trade? It's survived the 'Sha for the past seven years ...

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Selling one of the W8's, you say?
Wouldn't you like a nice 1.8T 5MT sedan in trade? It's survived the 'Sha for the past seven years ...
Hey, how's it going?
PM sent.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We'll I have some good news (I guess) to report. Back to that in a minute.

I must admit, I am not at all a fan of all of this "technology" in vehicles today. I find it very distracting. We all bitch about cell phones while driving, what about all that crap going on with the dash?
I've had the vehicle for just over a month now, tacked on just shy of 2k miles. For what it is, it seems like it will serve our purpose just as intended.
I still can't stand all that display garbage on the dash. I tried reading the owners manual. That just gave me a migraine. The owners manual is 740 pages for crying out loud! :oops: The NAV manual is 368 pages.
All those frickin' beeps and noises that damn vehicle makes while driving. Now that is distracting! Trying to cipher what tone that was, what is it telling me? Lane departure, someone in my blind spot, adaptive cruise kicking in, AAAHHH!

Well now here's the meat and potatoes of this little fable.
This vehicle has Pre-Collision-System on it. Those of you with new vehicles no what this is all about. Basically what this is, it's a radar signal that is used to calculate the possibility / probability of a frontal collision. This particular vehicle has 3 levels in the system.
1) Pre-Collision Warning
2) Pre-Collision brake assist
3) Pre-Collision braking

I got to experience first hand what the system does when it determines a collision is imminent.
Full on automatic braking. Yes siree.
Some ass clown crossed over the center line (like all the way over) a couple hundred feet down range and our vehicle went full on brakes.
I hit the brake pedal simultaneously with my foot but I could clearly tell I wasn't in control of the brakes at this point in time.
It all happened so fast it took a few minutes for it to sink in on how close my wife and I almost bought the farm. This all happened about 3 hours ago (at time of typing this) my wife is still frazzled.
I had to make some pretty evasive maneuvers to avoid getting clocked head on. I had to go into the the oncoming lane about 3/4 of the way. Not cool man.
But I do have to admit, the vehicle handled it pretty well.

Am I sold on all this tech wizardry, no it's still distracting as hell but in this particular case I would have to say it did help.

I'll tell you though, this not the way I wanted to find out what the capabilities of the vehicle are when subject to break neck maneuvers.
I've always taken my vehicles out in some old parking lot and purposely abused the piss out out them so I know what I can and can't get away with.
Never got to that point yet with this vehicle, until now.

After my wife shook out her pants legs, she asked me what would've happened if we were in the W8.
Well that's all speculation, but I'm guessing her face would've been stuck to the dash and the guy behind me would've for sure rear-ended me.
Those of you who know, W8 brakes when applied hard can stand the car on the front bumper, especially with a set of Michelin Pilot Sports, which I have.

So the good news, I'm here to tell my story and I'm not just another victim with one of those crosses littered all along the roadside.
Gotta go console the wife for a bit.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Glad to hear, but I agree. I’m probably too cheap to buy the features myself, but on company and rental cars I have become convinced of their advantages, in particular:
1. Adaptive cruise control. It is tough in Europe to have a long stretch totally alone, so having the ACC adjust the speed and following distance (yes, they also have cameras to nail you if you’re tailgating) is a big help. Only downside is sometimes you slow down too much before realizing you should have passed the turtle long ago.
2. Collision avoidance, as you mention. This saved my ass on a dawn drive in Nowhere, Sweden when someone had blocked the lane in a blind depression to protect their precious wildlife. Sun blinded me as I came over a hill, but the Volvo picked it up and turned it in to just an adrenaline shot.
3. Parking sensors. More so than just back up cams, I like the 360-degree alarms that save you from your own idiocy.

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
21 Posts
I have spent eight months and 3200 miles in my 2020 Passat. As you can tell, I adapted to the new technology slowly. I appreciate the new technology, but I knew at least some of it from my pre-purchase research. I also like reading the owner's manual for new "stuff." Yeah, I'm a bit odd that way.

I also experienced the collision-avoidance braking about a month ago. A knucklehead ran a stop sign and tore through an intersection. The brakes hit so hard we nosed down. My foot was still reaching for the brake pedal when the danger was past.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Glad to hear you two are OK. Now that you know how well the vehicle can handle unexpected assholery, if there is a next time, you can be ready with your horn and your one-finger salute as he/she passes.

Go Bucks !

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
I'm happy with the Pre Collision, but found it a bit too sensitive at first. It's great when backing out, as it sees much more than I can even with the rear camera. The Tiguan has fantastic brakes, 340mm (I think) with nearly the same weight as the V6 4Mo wagon that only had 288mm that I upgraded to 312mm. Even the stock handling is very good, but the ride is a bit harsher than it should be.
I don't have ACC, I worry that I would not be as attentive with it, but it would be nice in traffic at times. I also don't have lane assist. I hate that I have to park to be able to adjust the dash lighting and that I have to go through the display screen to do it. I like dim dash lights on dark roads. My biggest regret is not getting memory seats and memory dash vents. If I had my own car it would not matter, but I have no need for one.
I would be perfectly happy driving an old car with crank windows, cloth seats, manual steering, and a cheap aftermarket radio (at least until I crash and it folds up like a tin can).

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like dim dash lights on dark roads - If I had my own car it would not matter.
I would be perfectly happy driving an old car with crank windows, cloth seats, manual steering, and a cheap aftermarket radio (at least until I crash and it folds up like a tin can).
I'm right there with you.
My personal opinion, VW was spot on with those red LED's in the mirror on the B5.5's.
I like the dash lights as low as they can go and with the LED's it's a perfect set-up.

·
Registered
Blue 2020 Passat
21 Posts
I don't have ACC, I worry that I would not be as attentive with it,
I am able to give traffic more attention, since I don't have to give as much attention to my speed. It's quite noticeable when the ACC slows the car.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am able to give traffic more attention, since I don't have to give as much attention to my speed. It's quite noticeable when the ACC slows the car.
I still haven't used this feature. Doubt if I ever will.
I was always from the camp, you don't use cruise in and around traffic.
The only time I use cruise is when I'm driving longer distances and there's a lot of space between me and other cars.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
I almost always use cruise, but I constantly scan traffic to see if I need to slow, pass, or get the hell out of the way of idiots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts