Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Civic EX-L/Navi for my wife a few days ago.

Good: bought it for $600 over the invoice price. The dash is nice, the voice activated navi is cute, although I like my Tom Tom better. Handles well.

Bad: it was getting dark when I picked the car and the salesperson masterfully opened the trunk and distracted me when I was inspecting for dents and scratches. I missed a golf ball-sized dent on the trunk lid and a half inch scratch during inspection which I noticed when I got to my friend's house 30 minutes later. Luckily, I got someone on the phone at the dealership as they were closing and emailed them a picture. They took the car back and are fixing the dent; gave us a loaner in the meantime.

Indifferent: it drives like a scooter, takes time to get up to speed. Doesn't have the solid VW feel. It's no Passat for sure. The seat is a tad too high for my liking and the legroom is not that good.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pitched a Tiguan, Jetta, Passat, etc, but she would only look at the Civic. We also drove a Touareg that my dad bought for 2 months; she didn't like that either. At least I talked her out of buying a hybrid.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
if you'd like to get accessories like floor-mats, and other stuff, this is a pretty good site that I've been using;

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Also, this is the forum I've been lurking around for the 8th gen civics; fyi- the code designation for the chassis is the 'FA' civic.
http://www.8thcivic.com/
Don't bother with honda-tech.com there's almost nothing on the 8th gen

I'd highly recommend upgrading the stereo though. even the supposedly 350w factory unit on my 08' si is not that great.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I went from an 01 Passat to an 08 civic... it's no passat in terms of feel. But if you look at mileage, reliability, resale.... The passat is no civic :p

It does sit a bit high. I'm 6'7" and I can fit provided there's no sunroof. (Although I do sometimes have to slouch for stoplights)

http://www.8thcivic.com/ is good provided you stay away from the whining topics.... same as any other forum but there's a lot more of it there, than here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I expect nothing less than terrible from Honda.
I have to ask, was there any purpose at all in this (unsubstantiated) comment?

Anyway, good luck with the car, kansei. We've had a number of Honda products in my family and they've all proven to be good vehicles giving us minimal trouble. You have to get into some pretty good cars to find anything else that feels as good as a Passat.

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
I have to ask, was there any purpose at all in this (unsubstantiated) comment?
Maybe he's had bad luck with Hondas. I know the two I've owned were more trouble than my B5 Passat has been.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's still a glorified scooter, although I have to admit it's growing on me. The 140 HP engine is, well, craptacular.

I'll visit 8thcivic.com to see if they have helpful tips there. Thanks for the support. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Indifferent: it drives like a scooter, takes time to get up to speed. Doesn't have the solid VW feel. It's no Passat for sure. The seat is a tad too high for my liking and the legroom is not that good.
Hate to point out the obvious bro, but it's a Honda....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Wait until the plastic starts scratching every time you look at it sideways.

I actually really liked my Si for the whopping 3 months I had it until the tranny started going that Honda told me "Maybe you just can't drive a stick..."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts