Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PIC REQUEST - B5.5 Variant, stock suspension 16 or 17" rims

Hi everyone.

I'm not quite there yet, but I am starting to think about grabbing some new wheels for my car. I was thinking about either 16" or 17" rims. Most likely, I was going to get the BBS RXII's or a like model.

I am a little bit on the fence about whether to get 16" or 17" rims. I live in West LA on Santa Monica, and the roads out here are really bad, so lowering is not an option for me (besides, I won't give up the cushy ride!).

I was just wondering what our cars look like with a 17" rim on stock suspension, or a 16" on stock... I'm thinking 16" would be just right, but I'm just not sure.

So I thought before I coughed up $1000 (probably more for the BBS) for rims and tires, I would try to sneak a peek.

Thank you all in advance..

-J

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ride! :thumbup:

I was going to say, the unlowered 17" doesn't look too bad! I thought it was really going to look SUV-ish. But it isn't any worse than the stock 15's...

Hmmm... I might have to think about 17's then.

Any others?!?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
H&R Sport and Bilsteins on stock 16s.
I know how West LA streets are, but you might consider H&R OE's less drop.
I may be getting new wheels, so PM me if you're interested in these....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drive - is that suspension stock? After seeing those photos, I'm thinkin 17's are still in the works...

Der - I've thought about lowering, but frankly, my car routinely scraps leaving parking lots now (and I'm on 15's with the stock suspension). I know if I lower the car, it will only get worse...

Besides, I really like the way the car rides, and I'm worried that if I lowered it, I would compromise the ride quality...

Thanks for the offers on the wheels, but I think if I'm going to shell out some $, I might as well get something new...

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
lawofkirk said:
Besides, I really like the way the car rides, and I'm worried that if I lowered it, I would compromise the ride quality...
Depending on the suspension you get,it could also improve handling and retain comfort. The stock setup is a little boatly but a setup like Eibach Pro-system lowers slightly yet retains most of the OEM comfort and improves everything else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts