Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a follow up to good1.8T's question about how to tell the various 1.8T engines apart, one surefire way is to look at the engine number in the registration book. The first 3 alphabets indicate the engine type.

Apart from that and the replies on that thread, there are slight physical differences that tell them apart. The codes mentioned below relate mainly to the European Passats but are basically the same as those for the US market models.

AEB - The first longititudinal 1.8T engine used on the Passat since 1996, had a throttle that was cable operated. These are traditionally known as the non-DBW (drive by wire) Passats. This engine code was used on Passats all over the world.

APU - First applied in 1999 for the model year 2000. These had electronically controlled throttles, hence the term Drive By Wire and therefore, no throttle cable. The engine was designed to meet the strict EURO4 emissions standards. These had 2 Lambda sensors, one upstream of the cat and the other, downstream. Not quite sure what the US equivalent is.

AWT (US market ATW) - First major revamp of the 1.8T design. Applied to the Passat GP a.k.a. B5.5 in 2000 for the model year 2001, these engines had the addition of variable inlet timing which improved low-end performance. The mechanism is visible at rear right of the engine block in front of the firewall. Otherwise, there is no other physical difference between the APU. Interestingly, the US market version was spec'd at 170bhp while the European version was still spec'd at 150bhp.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My 2000 ATW 150hp doesn't have variable valve timing and the solenoid on the right rear of the engine block. I believe they're added on the 2001's with 170hp.

-Ian

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
so with all this info, whats the preferred engine?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hate DBW plus tubro lag! I'm trying to get chipped right now! 2000 ATW engine code. I commute though, 70mi. each way. Not much to cry about, yet... :suspicio:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting... over the years, I have come across the odd hybrid and it looks like it's similar in the US too. Here in Singapore, I've come across some 1999 models fitted with the APU DBW engine, so I'm not surprised to see that some B5.5 engine codes appearing in late-batch 2000 B5 models. If you use the VAG-COM to check these cars, chances are you'd find that these models would be fitted with Immobiliser III.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is interesting mine's a 2001 B5 with the AUG, I was wondering if someone could take a picture showing the selenoid. Just curious if I have it or not.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Just read this.

You're missing one other fairly big difference of the AEB from the later ones, though it isn't a performance thing...probably more of a packaging thing which coincided with the installation of the 1.8t engine in the A chassis. (That was your HINT.)

Whoever answers correctly gets a cookie.

Actually, I can think of two differences for the same probable reason as stated above.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
ok stupid question, but you said to look at the registration for that number or the car book?. Or is there another spot on the car for that?. it just got me curious, i want to know :lol: , later....rah..... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
432 Posts
My 2000 APU has single O2 sensor - no post cat sensor.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
I thought 2 O2 sensors was an OBD-II standard...whether it be European or American... :suspicio:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, looks like there are subtle differences between the same engine versions in different markets. Even more than I have come across from the looks of it.

Apart from VCT, the B5.5 engines also made use of different coil packs. Pre B5.5 engines used coil packs that were held in place by allen bolts. The B5.5 coil packs were and I believe are still plagued with problems. Don't forget, between the B5 and B5.5, there were 2,317 different part changes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts