Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Founder
18,506 Posts
Well, my expert opinion (since I've seen the movie a million times) would be AT LEAST a year because he:

1. Memorized a lot of events that would take place around the townwhich would take at least a year to figure out
2. Almost killed himself, which would take a year to build up
3. Learned how to play the piano, how to ice sculpt, Fench Poetry, etc...which would take AT LEAST a year to do.

So my best guest would be around a year (or 350 or so days).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
bill murray was a natural for that role.

one of the best movies ever..

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I read an article a while ago that analyzed the events of the movie. It basically said that, in all liklihood, Phil Connors was a pretty smart dude... even possibly a top grad at an Ivy League school. However, despite what ever smarts the guy had, in order to master the piano the way he did, learn all the skills (he learned French & ice scultping among otehr things), memorize the timing of key events, and commit all of the knowlege he learned, they estimated that he probably relived April 1st for at least 175 or so years. :shock:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
"You really touch me man..."

To really see the best of Murray I think you can see 3 movies...

"Caddyshack" (early)
"Groundhog Day" (middle)
"Lost in Translation" (late)

All our great.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
BoeserBlick said:
I read an article a while ago that analyzed the events of the movie. It basically said that, in all liklihood, Phil Connors was a pretty smart dude... even possibly a top grad at an Ivy League school. However, despite what ever smarts the guy had, in order to master the piano the way he did, learn all the skills (he learned French & ice scultping among otehr things), memorize the timing of key events, and commit all of the knowlege he learned, they estimated that he probably relived April 1st for at least 175 or so years. :shock:
April 1st? ;)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
HalfGreek said:

"Caddyshack" (early)
"Groundhog Day" (middle)

All our great.
stripes was excellent, too.

there must be many more in that list. even from back in his SNL days.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
HalfGreek said:

"Caddyshack" (early)
"Groundhog Day" (middle)

All our great.
[SPOILER WARNING FOR LOST IN TRANSLATION]

I love Bill and Groundhog Day is a classic along with others mentioned here (Stripes, etc)....but I didn't really get what the big deal with Lost in Translation was. I really thought it was just O,K. Did I miss something? Basically his marriage is going south, the chick is bored and they fall in love? Or was there something else to it?

[/SPOILER WARNING FOR LOST IN TRANSLATION]

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I would say he was there for at least 2,000 days. I mean he even learned medicine. Remember, they called him a Doctor.

Plus all the other stuff that went on that they didn't show. Each time he learned an event that was 1 day without doing anything else probably.

"Light wind blows, dog barks in distance, car passes, Bob puts down bag, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1."

I don't think he learned all that in 1 day. I mean he must have killed himself more than the couple times they show.

"Get me some pancakes. And a order of pancakes." :D

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
JimDog said:
HalfGreek said:

"Caddyshack" (early)
"Groundhog Day" (middle)

All our great.
[SPOILER WARNING FOR LOST IN TRANSLATION]

I love Bill and Groundhog Day is a classic along with others mentioned here (Stripes, etc)....but I didn't really get what the big deal with Lost in Translation was. I really thought it was just O,K. Did I miss something? Basically his marriage is going south, the chick is bored and they fall in love? Or was there something else to it?

[/SPOILER WARNING FOR LOST IN TRANSLATION]
I agree that Stripes & Ghostbusters were both excellent. Maybe just including one of them... (probably Ghostbusters) because they both showcase a similar character of Murray.

Tenenbaums was also excellent and just a good a movie as Lost in Translation... however, I think he took the sad, subtle humor to another level in Translation.

I think it is more of a really very subtle thing. Like when the guys are talking to him at the bar and they recognize him. And he basically just really wants to leave and when he does he stands up and gives them the thumbs up. But it is such a sarcastic thumbs up. Just his tone is great.

Thinking about Stripes, Ghostbusters, Translation and Tenenbaums really makes me want to rent a whole bunch of Bill Murray this weekend. That guy rules.

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
I think it is more of a really very subtle thing. Like when the guys are talking to him at the bar and they recognize him. And he basically just really wants to leave and when he does he stands up and gives them the thumbs up. But it is such a sarcastic thumbs up. Just his tone is great.

Thinking about Stripes, Ghostbusters, Translation and Tenenbaums really makes me want to rent a whole bunch of Bill Murray this weekend. That guy rules.
Actually that's true....there were some subtle things that made me laugh and I think it was a great performance (as usuall); however the movie overall (maybe the plot itself?) just didn't jive with me I guess.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
For my money, What about Bob? is one of the best, funnest movies ever made.

and I agree with Octick, 2000 days or more.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
JimDog said:

Actually that's true....there were some subtle things that made me laugh and I think it was a great performance (as usuall); however the movie overall (maybe the plot itself?) just didn't jive with me I guess.
I gotta agree, it was "okay", Murray was great - you take him out the movie and it would have been on video a month after it was released. If the whole Frank's daughter (Sofia Coppola) being the director hadn't made such a buzz, I think there would been even less made of the movie personally.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm not a big fan of this movie, but I've seen it enough recently to say he was there 5 years, just based on his piano skill.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
21 Participants
FORIAMBILL
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing