Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
What an overall emotional tournament this year, you should have seen us all get up and cheer at my sisters house when Phil sunk that put.

When DiMarco's ball ended up with the same line you knew there was some divine intervention. It wasn't just us spectators that wanted him to win.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It's about time that Phil got his Green Jacket. Been so close so many times, we would've all hated to see him come so close and just miss it again. :thumbup:

And Ernie's face was priceless when he heard the news. "Hmm? Aww, man..." :D Didn't see the whole thing, but this afternoon was a pretty good show, not just from Phil, but from many others as well. And who says that golf isn't exciting? :p

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm glad he won.....................now we dont have to hear the "Phil never won a major" stories any more which were killing me :crazy:

·
Registered
148 Posts
powerslide23 said:
It's about time. I was teary eyed when he told his daughter: "Daddy won, can you believe that?" :bow:
Yeah, that was emotional.

Finally, he can remove his other name

"One of the greatest players never to win a major."

He deserved it.... An Ernie can wait next year, he already has 2 opens under his belt.

Edited: Thanks AJChenMPH for the correction.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
You knew it was a different Phil Mickelson when, on the 18th tee, he chose to use a 3 wood rather than go with driver. The old Phil would have gone the aggressive rout because, as he has said before, that was the only way he knew how to play. This time, he showed discernment, selected the 3 wood, took the fairway bunkers out of play, and set himself up for that tournament winning putt. Congrats to Phil! He certainly has been talented enough, but today he combined talent and solid thinking and it paid off big time! Keep it up Phil!

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
relent said:
"One of the greatest players never to win a tournament."
You mean, "One of the greatest players never to win a major." ;)

I had to leave the TV at about 4:00 pm this afternoon, and never found out who won...until I got home at about midnight and flipped on the Golf Channel. I threw my arms in the air and let out a whoop when I found out he won (and I live alone!)...absolutely awesome...

gietl said:
When DiMarco's ball ended up with the same line you knew there was some divine intervention. It wasn't just us spectators that wanted him to win.
He even said that he putted his ball along the same line as DiMarco's, but whereas DiMarco's ball hung out to the left, his caught the lip and went in. Attributed it to his grandfather -- the guy would collect pin flags from the tourneys that Mickelson would win, but got tired of not having a pin flag from a major. Unfortunately, he died in January, but told Mickelson just before he died that this was his year -- so Mickelson figures his grandfather also had something to do with it.

Andy

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Lefty should have won a major a long time ago but as stated before, his agressive and not necessarily smart, course management took away his chances. He's always been talented and this year he seems to be taking a much intelligent and mature approach to his game. Expect a great 2004 from him.

The big question is, "NOW who's the best golfer never to win a major championship???" :???: :D

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
mr.bouton said:
The big question is, "NOW who's the best golfer never to win a major championship???" :???: :D
The article's dated (written just before the 2002 PGA Championship), but it appears that goes back to Colin Montgomerie.

http://www.115sports.com/081602.htm

Andy

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
How bout my boy from OSU... Casey Wittenberg... the top Ameature finish this year... the best back 9 by an ameature ever... the only ameature to qualify in the top 14 since circa 1969...

Go POKES!!!

Congrats to the other 4 OSU Cowboys that played too! Charles Howell, Bob Tway, Scott Verplank, and Jeff Maggert...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts