Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stumbled upon this: $350 for brand new Phatbox:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tegory=43947&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

Isn't that like $300 off the list price??

Anyone seen any lower prices??

And I need to ask this CRUCIAL question: In the future if I decide to go with an aftermarket HU, HOW can I use the Phatbox? Aren't they made by Kenwood? Couldn't I just get a Kenwood HU and some adapter and plug it into the CD changer plug?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay.... that price is brand new from a dealer. Guess he bought too many.

So I will buy.. but will I be able to use it with another HU in the future??

Please? Anyone? :cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am pretty sure it will also work with kenwood headunits... since it uses a interface cable to plug into the VW cd changer harness... does anybody in houston have a phatbox so we can test it to find out?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right... after looking at the Phatnoise website... it looks like only select Sony headunits (a rather long list actually) will be able to work with it.

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/sony/stereos.php

But I can probably live with a Sony if I have to.

And it is probably just a matter of getting or making the right wiring harness to get it to work with other CD changer capable decks.

I'm going to order it. There were 18 at that price the last I looked.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The talk a while back was that the units where going to be available via 3rd party resellers and that competition would result in price drop.
I think they're pre-empting the price drop to move current stock.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just received an e-mail from Phatnoise.

The VW/Audi Phatbox will NOT work with anything except a suitable VW or Audi HU.

Maybe someone else makes an adapater... but it looks like I'll keeping that Monsoon HU for some time!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
make sure you get the right install kit. The one the VW dealer gave me is to attach it to a wall.. and not inside the rear cubby. Wrong brackets.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Those are acutally the correct brackets. The phatbox doesn't fit properly in the cubby shelf without bending wires or cutting a hole through the cubby door for the cartridge to stick out. Someone mentioned that there might be a vw kit that allows mounting in the cubby shelf and includes a template for cutting the hole.

There is a thread about installing the phatbox in this forum somewhere....

EDIT:
Found it:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65708&highlight=phatbox+install

Steve

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why get a Phatbox? Because I don't want an Ipod sitting up there by my dash. I can control the tracks on the Phatbox with the buttons on my steering wheel.

Ipods aren't cheap and the best adapter for it costs a lot. In the end a Phatbox costs less.

Besides... I already have an Archos mp3 player.

And Ipod batteries cost a lot to replace.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ski44 said:
Those are acutally the correct brackets. The phatbox doesn't fit properly in the cubby shelf without bending wires or cutting a hole through the cubby door for the cartridge to stick out. Someone mentioned that there might be a vw kit that allows mounting in the cubby shelf and includes a template for cutting the hole.

There is a thread about installing the phatbox in this forum somewhere....

EDIT:
Found it:
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65708&highlight=phatbox+install

Steve
Cutting the hole isn't a problem. I want mine in that cubby and it fits nice.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
SLAB said:
i thought VW CD changers worked with the Blaupunkt HU's....they have the same connecters on the back...

yes, the connectoer are the same but the pinout is different AND the changers use a different protocol. Sony and Alpine use the exact same cable and you can't interchange their changers.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.