Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting a Phatbox for my '00 variant. I have a 6-disc changer right now. I would like to put the Phatbox at the changer location.

I have read here and there that there are issues with the harness being kinked or under high pressure at the back. I have also heard that after the install, you can't close the cosmetic panel back anymore due to interference of the Phatbox hard drive cartridge.

Have all these issues been resolved directly from Phatbox?

If not, what have you done to make it work?

Many thanks in advance. :bow:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. It gave me some ideas, but the situation of the author in that article does not really apply since he didn't even have a rack for the changer at the back of the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I recently got my PhatBox but it does not fit on the cd changer rack for the reasons you stated. Although I have a sedan, I believe that compartment is the same size. I mounted mine under the deck just like how my amp is mounted. Since you have an Avant, I've seen people mount it to the sidewalls in the rear. Good luck with your setup!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found the factory installation instruction from Phatnoise's website. Even the factory is showing the unit being installed elsewhere. What idiots!

Anyway, I need to know if the width of the Phatbox can fit into the CD changer position. Can someone answer that for me?

I also need to know, if the stupid DSub connector of the cable at the back can be shortened by about 1/2" to 1", will the Phatbox HD cartridge clear the cover for the changer compartment?

If above conditions are true, I think I can modify the cable DSub connector to a right angle one. That'll probably make it work!

·
Registered
241 Posts
That phatbox fits fine in the variant CD changer slot using the CD changer brackets. BUT, there is not enough clearance for the cable at the back if you slide the phatbox all the way in. If you leave the phatbox sticking out of the compartment, you can connect the cable, but then you cannot shut the compartment door. So you're screwed...

You could try finding a 90 degree cable the connected... or you could just cut a slot in the door for the cartridge to stick out through. I ended up mounting it on the side wall per VW's instructions.

<p>

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tip.

Would you please tell me how many pins are in the DSub connector that is connected to the rear of the Phatbox?

Is it a 9-pin or a 15-pin?

Is the connector at the cable end a female or male?

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts