Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the new unique wiper design on the Phaeton and Touaregs which doens't have a metal frame on it. It's basically a thick flap of rubber that attached to the arm of the wiper (it looks limp when you pull it away from the windshield). It seems to stick to the windshield better and it looks cool too (much sleeker and cleaner looking). Don't know if this could be done to our Passats?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
im not sure what your talking about but i know that ice wipers have a plastic shield on them that covers the metal frame to prevent ice from forming on the frame and causeing the blade to stay in one shape, is this what your talking about... if so you can get ice wipers at any auto store

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds like the standard wipers for the 03 and 04 B5.5's. If you have an pre '03 model you have to get new wiper arms.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm not sure about the aero blades, but I've gotten those "winter wiper blades".

All is swell and dandy until you get on the highway and need to clean the crud off the windshield, the damn blade flops around like an f'in fish. Anyway, we got rid of the flopping wipers with that Cavalier to my girlfriend's sister sucka... :weirdo: :lol: :puke:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You're not missing much... If there's one complaint I have about my PASSAT, it's those damn things. Unless there's a lot of rain, every single frikin time you wipe the windshield it makes this hideous screeching, scraping rubber sliding noise and leaves a big grimy mess after such torture. Worst part of the car in my opinion. They work maybe...3 or 4 times after the car has been washed, and then it's all downhill again. Its still a source of amusement I guess... Driving along, everyones quiet, pull lever down...SCREACH SCRAWK SCREEEEEEUNK..."ahhhhh...oh". But to be serious...obnoxious as hell.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Does anyone here use RainX? I love the stuff! I even put it on my rental cars every time I have one. I rairly even use my wipers.

Michael 8)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I dont have screeching problems with my 04, but the blades are still very new.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
lobich said:
RL331 said:
These are the aero blades, came standard starting late 02 on all Passats. They are good but not great.
I would disagree.... I love these.
I am positive that they work very well in Texas where it never gets really cold. The aero blades get hard when it's cold and they chatter unless the windshield is warmed up. They are good, better than the conventional blades on our Jetta but they are high maintenance - I find myself constantly cleaning the aero blades, then they work fine.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rain-X is not good if you have a GLX with the rain sensing wipers, it reduces the ability for the windshield sensors to detect water properly.

Also on the screeching/squeaking sound from the wipers, one good tip I found is to out a few drops of Palmolive or other dish washing soap in the washer fluid tank. That will help lubricate the wipers and windshield and cleans it a little better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I replaced my Aero wipers with new ones after one year... I love them. They work good in Germany as long as they are reletively new. I don't mind replacing them annually. They wipe fine at 110 MPH where others just "fly away" at that speed...

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
glockfan said:
I replaced my Aero wipers with new ones after one year... I love them. They work good in Germany as long as they are reletively new. I don't mind replacing them annually. They wipe fine at 110 MPH where others just "fly away" at that speed...
Out of curiosity, what do these wipers cost in Germany? Are they only available from the dealer there, as they are here?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I paid roughly 30 euro for the replacement wipers excluding the arms... You can find folks on German Ebay selling the whole set with arms for 70 euro.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
hwmike said:
Does anyone here use RainX? I love the stuff! I even put it on my rental cars every time I have one. I rairly even use my wipers.

Michael 8)
Rain-X helped with lessening the wiper screech on my GLS (no rain sensor). I used a triple-edge -ish refill.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Has anybody here done a conversion to a rear aero? Maybe from the Lupo or Audi Avants?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
21 Participants
Blindthief
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing