Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody suprised? :suspicio: In Feb, Phaeton sales were only 152 . if that trend continues, we'd be looking at under 2,000 per year. VW orignially said they expected to sell 5,000 per year then they dropped this to 3,000 just before launch...now it seems like they will struggle to sell 2,000. Hum, can't be good.... :nervous:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
anyone who has followed what VW has sold well on for a while knew that the Phaeton would be a flop especially when you could get an Audi A8 for the same money. Lets face it consumers want status and the VW badge carries little in the over 60k dollar luxo-barge fleet. Is the Phaeton a nice car??? absolutely but its not what the american VW consumer wanted. Lets face it they would have been better served doing some of the improvements suggested on this site vs building a super luxo car

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Z28Driver said:
anyone who has followed what VW has sold well on for a while knew that the Phaeton would be a flop especially when you could get an Audi A8 for the same money.
Hell, the W12 Phaeton is roughly the same price as the Maserati Quattroporte. The Quattroporte doesn't have as many bells and whistles and the unique engine as the Phaeton, but it does have prestige, a legendary italian name, and wrapped in a sexy body and sumptious leather and wood cockpit.
The Phaeton is still a very nice car (muich better than the BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, and the Jaguar XJ), but I'd take the Quattroporte over it in a second.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I think it's more the economy and that VW has not been very good at promoting the Phaeton to the rich. Give it some time, they will start recognizing it. C'mon, people buy the Pontiac AZTEC because they thought it looked cool :crazy:

Rich people have just been too busy to notice that VW has a luxury vehicle. It's not in their vocabulary yet.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
aowhaus said:
Z28Driver said:
anyone who has followed what VW has sold well on for a while knew that the Phaeton would be a flop especially when you could get an Audi A8 for the same money.
Hell, the W12 Phaeton is roughly the same price as the Maserati Quattroporte. The Quattroporte doesn't have as many bells and whistles and the unique engine as the Phaeton, but it does have prestige, a legendary italian name, and wrapped in a sexy body and sumptious leather and wood cockpit.
The Phaeton is still a very nice car (muich better than the BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, and the Jaguar XJ), but I'd take the Quattroporte over it in a second.
If you had to poll people just based on name alone on whether they wanted to own a Volkswagen or a Maserati with no specs issued etc which do you suppose they'd pick :wink:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Z28Driver said:
If you had to poll people just based on name alone on whether they wanted to own a Volkswagen or a Maserati with no specs issued etc which do you suppose they'd pick :wink:
Right but unless you live near one of the 36 dealerships that are located in only 22 states that Maserati's are sold and serviced in, you'd probably pick the VW. ;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sullie said:
Z28Driver said:
Right but unless you live near one of the 36 dealerships that are located in only 22 states that Maserati's are sold and serviced in, you'd probably pick the VW. ;)
I live less then 3 miles from the North American headquarters of Ferrari/Maserati. I often see their cars being flat bedded in. I wonder if they sell or service any there…I would travel many miles to get my hands on a Black on Black Phaeton :bow: . Notwithstanding “manufacturers only” diagnostic tools and procedures, as far as service is concerned, the Phaeton isn’t “that special”… Neither is the Maserati…Change the oil, filters and drive…

Have you driven a Maserati lately? I fail to identify any prestige in any automobile that requires special instructions to get it into reverse… Why would anyone install a F1 transmission in a sedan? :weirdo: :weirdo:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I figure you have to wait for some momentum to build - you can't go only by the early sale months. Let one "Richie Rich" buy a Phaeton, then the Jones's next door might want one.

I saw my first Phaeton on the road driving through Fox Chapel (well-heeled community here) last week, so that's a start. My first impression was, "Gee, that's a big car."

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sullie said:
Z28Driver said:
Well, then I'm set. Algar Ferarri/Maserati is two blocks away! 8) :lol:
Of course, from what I've heard finding even warantee repair work for the Phaeton is hard, not every dealer is equipped either!

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Of course, from what I've heard finding even warantee repair work for the Phaeton is hard, not every dealer is equipped either!
My dealer isn't selling them so I don't think I'd wanna try them for service on a Phaeton (and I like my dealer!).

·
Registered
158 Posts
I drove a demo at Capistrano VW about a month ago, and If I had the money in my pocket I would have bought it. My wife wants a big bucks car next year and I'm pushing for the Phaeton, over BMW and Benz. I've seen 5 or six driving around in OC so I'd say things are picking up. around here at least.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Altair 4 said:
I figure you have to wait for some momentum to build - you can't go only by the early sale months. Let one "Richie Rich" buy a Phaeton, then the Jones's next door might want one.
I hope that I am far from wrong but most of us stood here and said the same thing for the W8 and look whats happen since then.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
hbar said:
Phaeton not selling as well as expected!
In related news, scientists have discovered that Hell is, indeed, hot.
My thoughts, indeed. Was this a surprise to anyone? Honestly, as a VW enthusiast, I love the idea of the Phaeton. However, I do understand the logic of the general public as well. Very few people are willing to drop that kind of money on a car that has a badge very few people will be impressed by. As sad as being a pure badge whore is, those people exist and those are the people you must convince that "VW" can, in fact, be a luxury nameplate.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:
Let's see...I could buy two W12 Phaetons or a house...decisions, decisions.

I think I'll keep the Passat and buy the house.
Hey John, here's the real reason for ya ... that's a new house, a new bride, a B5 & a Lotus forth coming for you :p

Lucky bastard you :wink:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
vuvision said:
Johnny B5.5 said:

Hey John, here's the real reason for ya ... that's a new house, a new bride, a B5 & a Lotus forth coming for you :p

Lucky bastard you :wink:
Robert, you got me there! :D

We're closing on the house 04/02 and will be painting, installing new appliances, landscaping, etc. :nervous:

I've already picked out my lawn equipment and have learned that the EPA has killed off the 2 cycle engine for mowers, so if you can find a new Lawnboy with 2-cycle engine, get it while you still can. I did and will be running the Amsoil 100-1 2-cycle synthetic oil.

The order for my Elise was faxed to Lotus last Friday. No turning back now! Bordeaux Red Pearl w/ biscuit leather interior. Should have it before the end of the year. Still coming to grips with the prospect of owning a hand built car for the same price as a gas guzzling SUV.

Will need to teach my new bride how to drive a manual tranny. We're keeping the Passat and selling her Integra (further proof that I have a good lady!).

This will be a busy year!

We need to hook up neighbor. 8)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Johnny B5.5 said:

Not if you're the type of person that VW is trying to target for Phaeton sales... :wink:

Honestly, you could say that about any luxury liner like the A8, 745, etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts