Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everybody!

My name is Vassilis and I own a 2010 VW Passat Variant 2.0FSI (110KW) 4Motion. This car has a normally aspirated engine.

I would like your help regarding the following aspects. During driving, and especially in tight corners with poor tarmac, I have realised that ESP does not let the 4Motion system live up to its expectations. What I mean by this is that when the car starts losing grip the ESP comes into play and when it finishes straightening the car's behaviour then it lets 4Motion do its job.

Unfortunatelly this means that ESP destroys spirited driving and does not let the car flow through corners depending solely on its 4Motion system (which is a very good one if let alone do the job)!

I have also realised that when I deactivate the ESP (at least the 1st phase of ESP, whereas ESP cannot be totally deactivated as a whole) the car flows so nice through corners that it seems to be another car; a much much better car!

So, as you can guess I want to permanently deactivate the ESP but have active at the same time the ABS unit.

Is there a way to come around this? I have read on the internet that there are some VAG (secret??) codes to come around issues like this but I have not found something yet! Or maybe something can be done through a VCDS unit, or .....?

Thanks in advance for your support.

PS. Is there a decent SW/HW combination to get some extra ponies out of this very good engine? I mean a good (value for money) combination of performance air filter+remapping+cat. back exhaust?

Vassilis

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
you sure you want to disable it?
you better be one great ass driver like me if you do. ;)
here is what it does..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you sure you want to disable it?
you better be one great ass driver like me if you do. ;)
here is what it does..
Dear ScottPassat2.8,

I totally agree with you regarding the advantages of ESP on a FWD or RWD car. I just believe that the ESP function destroys 4Motion's manouvreability and smooth reactions. I believe that in a 4WD car ESP must come into play at a very late stage, letting the 4Motion first doing the job, a.k.a. keeping traction.

In fact I do not want to permanently disable both ESP functions (1st. phase ESP <the one that can be deactivated by simply press the ESP console button. it's the one that acts way too instantly, acting as a dominator over 4Motion>, 2nd. phase <the one that cannot be deactivated by simply press the ESP console button. it's the one that acts at a very late stage, when you really need it, letting 4Motion handles 99% of slipage). I just want to deactivate the 1st. phase, the one that grossly comes into play, not leaving 4Motion give motion to all 4 wheels!

I'm sure that you understand what I'm talking about. :)

PS. Waiting for some real info! :thumbup:
PS2. Having only 150BHP from my engine, I cannot tolerate a 'dummy' electronic system, such as ESP, constantly cutting-off power (95% of cases when not needed) and never letting me enjoy the sheer pleasure of driving a 4WD vehicle while never letting the car flowing through the bends!!!

Best Regards,
Vassilis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts