Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Been searching to replace my fiancé’s car for quite a few months. I wanted a golf GTI but she won’t learn manual. I landed on a B7 Passat, it’s a 2015. Newb here. Looking for performance gains, recommendations on where to start and how each one will affect the car. I assume more power will decrease fuel economy? I’ve never chipped a vehicle before, not sure how it works. I have a 2015 1.8 turbo TSI SEL. Anything to watch out for on this car? Will this still have issues with sludge or has this been engineered out yet?

Thanks,
Brett

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Our rockin' Administrator is the only one who can delete posts. I've notified him, he'll take care of it.
Welcome to the Forum by the way.
I posted this in your other post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Start with APR...tuning, intake, down pipe, etc. The car responds well to upgrades, so focus on suspension and brakes. It’s not a GTI, but it’s a phenomenal platform to build on.

·
Registered
51 Posts
First before any tune, make sure your car is not included in the VW Passat cam shaft recall. If so forget about a real tune like APR. Their fix for this recall is to program in a lower fuel rail pressure. If not on the list of cars for recall, APR tune is best overall as it is a true ECU tune. But know that even Stage 1 will bring your engine to levels of torque higher than the maximum your transmission is rated for. Its not so absurdly more, so if you WOT all the time you should be fine, just change the transmission fluid more frequently if you plan on keeping the car a while. Otherwise your other choices are piggy back tunes, like Burger Tuning JB1/4 and Neuspeed power module. These are not ECU tunes and intercepts signals sent to the turbo to adjust pressure etc... They tend to be reversable by simply unplugging, where as a APR tune, is detectable by the dealership as each time the ECU is flashed it raises the counter. Your choice. These are the simplest tunes available for the Passat. If you go stage 2 APR, then downpipe, and intake is recommended. Again pay attention to your transmission. The 1.8T uses the Aisin 09G torque converter transmission. It is the weakest link in your power train.

For suspension - get a rear sway bar, and whatever upgrades for struts/springs or coilovers, bags.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts