3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video appears to show Marine abusing puppy

* Story Highlights
* Marine in YouTube video appears to throw tiny dog over a cliff
* Corps investigating "shocking and deplorable video," spokesman says
* Location of scene not known, but Marines are in full combat gear
* Lance corporal could face mild to severe discipline, spokesman says

(CNN) -- The military is investigating a "shocking and deplorable" YouTube video that seems to show a Marine throwing a puppy off a rocky cliff.

The black-and-white puppy makes a yelping sound as it flies through the air.

"That's mean, that was mean," one companion says off-camera, addressing the alleged puppy thrower by his last name. The fate of the animal is not known.

The Marine is identified on the video and in other Internet postings as a lance corporal stationed at Marine Corps Base Hawaii in Kaneohe.

It's not clear where the video was shot, although the man who appears to throw the puppy and another Marine are in full combat gear with helmets.

YouTube.com had taken down the video by 12:30 p.m. ET Tuesday "due to terms of use violation," according to a banner on the Web site.

"This is a shocking and deplorable video that is contrary to the high standards that we set for every Marine," Marine Corps spokesman Maj. Chris Perrine said at a news conference Monday night.

"We will investigate this and take appropriate actions," Perrine said.

He said the Marine is being kept safe in view of the anger over the alleged incident.

Perrine added that the majority of Marines conduct themselves honorably.

"There are many examples of Marines who adopt pets and bring them back from Iraq and demonstrate their compassion on a daily basis," he said.

If the video is deemed legitimate, the lance corporal could face a charge of conduct unbecoming a Marine, Perrine said. There could be administrative action, nonjudicial punishment or a court-martial, he added.

"It's all governed by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, and anything from reduction in pay to reduction in rank to confinement to discharge from the Marine Corps" is possible, Perrine said. If others are involved, they too will be disciplined, he said.

"Certainly, there's a lot of outrage, and a lot of people are upset about it. I think every Marine is upset about this video," he said. "We hope that it turns out not to be what it looks like."

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
They were discussing this heavily on Digg yesterday, including pictures of his sister, his home address and pictures of his "gay riced out Civic".

·
Registered
234 Posts
This guy definately has issues! I just saw the video of this, and it upset me. They are still showing the video of this on the ebaumsworld website. He will definately be punished for this. The Marines usually don't tolerate this kind of crap! Especially now that the whole country knows of it. He will probably get some brig time. I hope! :crazy:

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When he leaves the brig he'll still be alive... what about the dog?

How about this? If he is doing things like this to a dog, what do you think he was doing to innocent people there?

What about people that were watching him do it? Don't you think they should have stopped him?

Sickos.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
All this rancor over a man... trained to kill humans killing a dog. I think it's terrible what he did but how about some perspective!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not to say that this is necessarily true....but there is a large chance that this video is faked and im sure you can find arguments to back it up on Digg. I just wanted to throw that out there.

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is faked... so be it.

I don't think so, however.

Agreed Spirare -- but in our society, innocence (the dog) is placed above humanity. We're sort of sick like that... but look at studies done when it comes to pet care and what people are willing to pay, etc. to keep their best friend with them -- as opposed to how quickly people will put their own family (human) members in a "home".

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Sorry, but if the video is not bogus, that jarhead needs help to resolve some serious mental issues; the Brig won't do it for him.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Sorry, but if the video is not bogus, that jarhead needs help to resolve some serious mental issues; the Brig won't do it for him.
Agreed x2. I want to add that he may well have been like that before he entered the service. I have seen a ton of stuff like that from guys who have nothing to do with the military.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
^ Could be. To be honest though, the Marines want gung-ho types who CAN REMAIN IN CONTROL OF THEIR ACTIONS, and know how to turn "killing" on and off. Admittedly, this is a hugely tough challenge for normal human beings. However, "normal" takes on a different meaning for a Marine, especially the good ones, which describes the vast majority of this very special breed of military cat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts