Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YAY or NAY?

Just asking cuz advanced auto has it for buy one get one free. So 6 quarts for about $18 ain't too bad.

·
Registered
635 Posts
and by mobil 1 he means the 0w-40

but you could also go with Castrol Syntec 0w-30
or Castrol Syntec 5w-40
or Amsoil (AFL) 5w-40

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just check the label - if it has VW 502 00 certification, you're good to go.

I haven't seen it on any of the recent lists though, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I noticed that also...that's why I switched to Liqui-Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W40 for my W8. I had NO problems with GC 0W30, but just wanted to stick with something on the list.

Also conspicuous by its absence is Motul 8100 e-tech.

Then there's always the possibility the list is incomplete...who knows.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Then there's always the possibility the list is incomplete...who knows.
I'm going with that. The bottle says it has VW 502, 505 and 503.1 certs, as well as all the relevant BMW and Mercedes certs.

The rave reviews the people on BITOG give it + the certs on the bottle = me using it now instead of M1 0W-40. 200 miles and so far the car is happy ;)

I think at this point the only thing I would switch to would be Motul 8100 0W-40. Isn't it like Group V?

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I'm going with that. The bottle says it has VW 502, 505 and 503.1 certs, as well as all the relevant BMW and Mercedes certs.

The rave reviews the people on BITOG give it + the certs on the bottle = me using it now instead of M1 0W-40. 200 miles and so far the car is happy ;)

I think at this point the only thing I would switch to would be Motul 8100 0W-40. Isn't it like Group V?
He's lucky if his Advanced had 5-30w euro, my stores just had the full syn 5-30w without the VW certs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Synpower and Havoline Synthetic both sound like great options. Too bad I can't find a store that carries either in 5w40!

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Speaking of Pennzoil Platinum, I'm running it currently in my V6 and I'm nearing my OCI and the damn oil looks like I just put it in 500 miles ago.

M1 and SynPower looked 'dirty' after just 1000+ miles, but this PP still looks very fresh. On one hand I'm mildly pleased about the fact that it really looks like its 'holding up well', on the other hand I'm really concerned that it's not picking up the 'dirt and crap' like its supposed to!

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts