Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Got a rough idle only on cold starts for about a minute or so and then back to 100% normal. No codes, no CEL. Did some searching, think it could be related to vacuum lines. So planning on replacing all four of them with silicone line. 10 feet should be enough right? Do I need to get small clamps as well? I saw some people recommend just zip tying the line on and that is good enough.

While I was replacing the diverter valve last week, a good amount of oil spilled out. Luckily I moved my head out of the way just in time and didn't get it all over my face. Did some searching and this is normal, but got me thinking on replacing/updating the PCV system. I see two kits on ECS Tuning (where I usually get my parts). One for $205 (ES#2587468) and one for $415 (ES#2219665). Not really trying to spend that much money on the PCV system. Any idea where I can get this cheaper? Is there somewhere with part numbers for engine code ATW so I can search Rock Auto and see if I put the kit together separately it would be cheaper?

I will be home for most of August so this will be a good time to work on the car (can afford to have the car not running for a few days at a time). Is there anything else you guys think I should do to the Passat? I will be at 250k+ miles. Recent work includes: full suspension (CAs, shocks, struts, tie rod ends, sway bar links), coils+plugs, diverter valve, fuel filter, air filter, cabin air filter, and tires.

Thanks in advance! Don't think my car would be running right now without all your help.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I wouldn't use metal clamps on the silicon lines although zip ties work well if you want the extra protection. 10' sounds like enough but you could search for a DIY of someone who has done it to verify.

034 Motor sports makes a nice after market PCV kit that is around $150 or so. It replaces all the plastic bits with silicone and comes with a metal PCV valve. Otherwise, I'd just clean as much as you can and replace only what is necessary. It's a lot of time spent but will save some money.

For the part numbers, go to a site like Jim Ellis VW and search their parts department. They have the ETKA on-line so you can find the part #'s there and get an idea of dealer prices for all the parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the super fast response Iowegian!

034 Motor sports makes a nice after market PCV kit that is around $150 or so. It replaces all the plastic bits with silicone and comes with a metal PCV valve. Otherwise, I'd just clean as much as you can and replace only what is necessary. It's a lot of time spent but will save some money.
Is this the one you're talking about? https://store.034motorsport.com/breather-hose-kit-aeb-atw-b5-audi-a4-volkswagen-passat-1-8t-reinforced-silicone.html

For the part numbers, go to a site like Jim Ellis VW and search their parts department. They have the ETKA on-line so you can find the part #'s there and get an idea of dealer prices for all the parts.
Woah this is pretty cool. But I can't find the PCV system anywhere. It should be under emissions right?

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
10' is plenty for an ATW. I also used zip ties on mine and it holds fine. For the Parts, ECS sells them individually as you should not need the metal pipe.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If the kit you are looking at on ECS that's really expensive is the same one I was looking at. It includes a small 90 degree rubber elbow. Their listed cost of that piece alone was $100:icon_eek:

I called to verify and it was in fact 100:puke: I asked why and the guy on the other end hadn't a clue and agreed it was a stupid crazy price when you can get the same thing at a parts store for a few bucks. I was able to just clean mine and reuse.

Needless to say I pieced all mine together from Ebay and O' Rileys. Think I spent $80

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
Personally, if I still had my ATW, I would spring for the 034 kit. That dogleg breather tube is notorious for crumbling. The 034 kit gets rid of all of that mess. I have the AWM kit for my 2004 1.8T.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rough idle at startup could also be related to broken hoses for the SAI. They are plastic and break all the time. It will sound like crap on startup until the pump shuts off. I usually just get a piece of rubber hose that can fit over both ends of the broken plastic hose to reconnect them and use zip ties.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
The other problem on the ATW is the oil line is in the way when working on the PCV. The later AUG/AWM has a better routing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rough idle at startup could also be related to broken hoses for the SAI. They are plastic and break all the time. It will sound like crap on startup until the pump shuts off. I usually just get a piece of rubber hose that can fit over both ends of the broken plastic hose to reconnect them and use zip ties.
I think this could be it. I'll take a look in the next couple of days. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Unless you have really tiny hands, you pretty much need to remove the fuel rail, intake manifold, and everything else attached to get at the block breather. I've done it before without removing the intake manifold but it took forever and a lot of fiddling. Definitely easier to just remove it to get the hose, o-ring, and clip back in. Depends on how much of the PCV system you are replacing as other parts are more easily accessible. The block breather tube is usually brittle and broken so if you try to do it without removing the manifold, you might have a hard time getting any plastic pieces out that may have fallen in or broken. The time I did it without removing manifold I had to keep putting duct tape around a long prybar and fish it out.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
I've done them without removing the manifold, but it's a pain. Removing the manifold makes it easier, but takes longer. You should get a new manifold gasket if you remove it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Can this make a sorta hum/howl sound at startup?

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Yes. I never noticed it with the V6, but with the 1.8T, I feel the idle drop from the electrical draw. The howling could be the pump going bad, they sound like a jet engine firing up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts