Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
13 was rotted-out from the inside on my 2001.5 after 60k miles. I'd recommend replacing that, too.

You could replace 15 (the "puck" valve) with a catch can. They do the same thing, only the catch can is larger & easier to clean.

Is your "puck" actually located near the rear of the manifold, instead of at the turbo inlet hose? I know that's the right drawing from elcats for a 2003, but I've never actually seen a 1.8T with that layout. All the B5.5's I've seen have this layout, instead, from the 2001.5-2002 models:

AWM PCV 2001.5-2002

^^^^^^^^^^

Using the numbers from the post at the top of the page...

Flow is normally from both 2 & 13 toward 5, then 6, then out into the intake manifold.

Under boost, flow is from 2, past 5, to 13, then on through 15 to 22, where it enters the intake system pre-turbo. Part 6 (The PCV Valve) is also a check valve that keeps boost air from entering the PCV system.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you install a catch can along 18, 19, or 20, you can remove the "puck" completely.

Installing along 10 is too late... the PCV Valve (6) has already filtered/clogged most of the crud by then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.