Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: Forgot to mention. 2003 AWM (tip but I don't think that matters for the PCV)
In the diagram below, which parts of the pvc system should I replace as "maintenance". This is what I was thinking so far:
6 bleeder valve 035103245G
15 pressure regulator valve 06A129101A
are there any other pieces I should replace while I'm at it?

Also, I'm wanting to install an oil catch can. I've sort of beat this to death in the past but I thought I would run my current plan by everyone and see what you all think. In order to catch as much of the oil as possible I figure I need to run it from the crank case breather line and the valve cover breather line, so...
I thought I would run a line from the end of 2 (before it connects to 5) and a line from where 13 connects to the valve cover. I would tie these two together at a "T" (since most catch cans only have one in and one out) and run the line to the inlet on the catch can. Then run the "out" line from the catch can to another "T" to split the line and go back to 2 and 13 to connect them like normal. This should keep the system operating normally, there would just be a catch can in line to catcht the oil. Heres is the above image with my idea sketched in

The other option is to run two catch cans. But I don't see why my system wouldn't work the same way. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I believe it turns out that very little oil vapor comes from the valve cover, and that its all from the crankcase, so I would do a catch can for the crankcase first. Between 2 and 5 is a good spot to run the catch can, though.

Also, 15 is kind of a weird 'valve'. Its sort of a flow restrictor. I doubt it needs replacing, but you can if you want.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention its a 2003 AWM. Also, does anyone know what 6A 24, 25, 26, 27, and 28 are from. What configuration is this for? This page doesn't even shown the part numbers for it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
28,021 Posts
Replace the rubber T (part number 5). It is far easier to cut the old part off than remove and reuse.

The diagram you have looks to be the most efficient setup for a catch-can,but not the easiest to install. Part 2 is rigid plastic and you would have a hard time running a line thru that area.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
13 was rotted-out from the inside on my 2001.5 after 60k miles. I'd recommend replacing that, too.

You could replace 15 (the "puck" valve) with a catch can. They do the same thing, only the catch can is larger & easier to clean.

Is your "puck" actually located near the rear of the manifold, instead of at the turbo inlet hose? I know that's the right drawing from elcats for a 2003, but I've never actually seen a 1.8T with that layout. All the B5.5's I've seen have this layout, instead, from the 2001.5-2002 models:

AWM PCV 2001.5-2002

^^^^^^^^^^

Using the numbers from the post at the top of the page...

Flow is normally from both 2 & 13 toward 5, then 6, then out into the intake manifold.

Under boost, flow is from 2, past 5, to 13, then on through 15 to 22, where it enters the intake system pre-turbo. Part 6 (The PCV Valve) is also a check valve that keeps boost air from entering the PCV system.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pete1 said:
Is your "puck" actually located near the rear of the manifold, instead of at the turbo inlet hose? I know that's the right drawing from elcats for a 2003, but I've never actually seen a 1.8T with that layout. All the B5.5's I've seen have this layout, instead, from the 2001.5-2002 models:

AWM PCV 2001.5-2002
Yep. Mine is laid out like the diagram I posted. The puck is at the rear of the valve cover just like its shown. I was actually
until I found this diagram. All of the diagrams I found were for AEBs, AUG, etc. I think I found a diagram for every PCV layout EXCEPT mine until I finally found this diagram.

pete1 said:
Using the numbers from the post at the top of the page...

Flow is normally from both 2 & 13 toward 5, then 6, then out into the intake manifold.

Under boost, flow is from 2, past 5, to 13, then on through 15 to 22, where it enters the intake system pre-turbo. Part 6 (The PCV Valve) is also a check valve that keeps boost air from entering the PCV system.
Yep. Which is why I figure I could use 1 catch can if I could get the "plumbing" installed. I figure the hardest part would be getting fittings that would allow me to connect from the stock pipes/hoses to the hose thats the correct size for the catch can. I think the easier thing to do would be to buy 2 catch cans and install 1 along hose 10 somewhere and the other one along the hard pipe 18, elbow 19 or 20 (somewhere along there). Its just that I would have to buy 2 catch cans. But I think fitting the plumbing together would be easier along those hoses. I let you know what I decide to do.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If you install a catch can along 18, 19, or 20, you can remove the "puck" completely.

Installing along 10 is too late... the PCV Valve (6) has already filtered/clogged most of the crud by then.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pete1 said:
If you install a catch can along 18, 19, or 20, you can remove the "puck" completely.
True but I would go ahead and keep it (replace it) so that 1) I could pull the catch can off and return it to stock if, God forbid, I ever sell the car and 2) I wouldn't have to worry about finding something to reconnect the line with.

pete1 said:
Installing along 10 is too late... the PCV Valve (6) has already filtered/clogged most of the crud by then.
Also true but that would be easiest hose to connect to (or at least easier that trying to connect to the breather hose #2) and would still achieve my goal of keeping any oil out of the intake. I need to buy the replacement hoses so I can check the hose diameters and try and get everything I need (connectors and all) all at once so I don't have to dig into all this stuff twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts