Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

On my V6 B5 Passat, I've had to replace my PCV hoses and jet pump due to the deliciously disgusting burning oil smell syndrome. After replacing them, I realized they had plenty of airflow, but I still had that smell. I didn't buy a new PCV check valve (the green one), but I was able to clean it using a silicone lubricant and it came back to life. Turns out my entire PCV system was revived by cleaning my check valve, as it was stuck close, causing my PCV system to malfunction.

If you're having PCV issues, I strongly recommend you start by looking at your check valve to see if its functionning properly. I should have!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hello all,

On my V6 B5 Passat, I've had to replace my PCV hoses and jet pump due to the deliciously disgusting burning oil smell syndrome. After replacing them, I realized they had plenty of airflow, but I still had that smell. I didn't buy a new PCV check valve (the green one), but I was able to clean it using a silicone lubricant and it came back to life. Turns out my entire PCV system was revived by cleaning my check valve, as it was stuck close, causing my PCV system to malfunction.

If you're having PCV issues, I strongly recommend you start by looking at your check valve to see if its functionning properly. I should have!
Just did all the same work, along with VCG, but didn't touch those valves. Those are the devices on top of the little plastic shelf where the small vacuum lines run, no? One is green, one is blue, and each have an electrical connector? I'll find a pic so you can confirm.

My PCV hoses had a little crud in them, but nowhere near completely gunked up. Obviously, you can only see the ends, so not certain.

Even if my car's oil problems have been fixed, it will still be burning residual, old oil off the back of the engine for a long time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PCV check valve lives underneath the vacuum plate, is hooked to a hose going to the intake on one side, and to an "F" shaped hose that goes to the brake vacuum line, the PCV check valve and the jet pump. I can't find a suitable picture, but its a much bigger valve than the Fuel Pressure Regulator check valve (blue and black) that sits on top of the vacuum plate.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The PCV check valve lives underneath the vacuum plate, is hooked to a hose going to the intake on one side, and to an "F" shaped hose that goes to the brake vacuum line, the PCV check valve and the jet pump. I can't find a suitable picture, but its a much bigger valve than the Fuel Pressure Regulator check valve (blue and black) that sits on top of the vacuum plate.
Ok, sorry, wrong pic, removed. If anyone has a pic that points it out, that would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Here's a pic under that vacuum plate. See the valve in the jumbled mess?

Underplate.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts