Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'03, ATQ, V6, 137,500 miles
I haven't posted in a while, but the Passat maintenance has never ceased. This past summer, I replaced all my vacuum lines and hoses including the PCV crankcase ventilation valve. I felt pretty good about it, followed the Bentley manual, comprehensive, precise. That system is tightened up nicely. The past few weeks however, I have heard a kind of low, dense, hooting sound at ignition. It faded out upon engine warm up. The sound is not normal, but the recent arrival of pretty cold mornings seemed to be related. In the last two weeks, the hooting sound lingers for the whole drive. It is noticeable at warm up, acceleration, and shut off. At shut off, the hooting continues for a split second (or so it seems) after engine shutdown. I inspected the lines and there seems to be oil residue on the hose below the PCV, coming from the PCV, near as I can tell. Note: The residue was not there at the original replacement. No gasket leaks or other oil leakage anywhere else. The PCV valve is a Beck Arnley. The new lines and hoses are a combo of VW OE, Vaico, and the Beck Arnley PCV.

I thought I read on here but cannot find it so maybe elsewhere, that the hooting sound is the aftermarket PCV failing. They have a high failure rate compared to VW OE. (I thought I would save a few bucks.) Looking at various PCV posts here has not nailed it down for me. It appears the SAIP could be a factor. The dilemma is $171 for an OE VW PCV or, if it is something else and more expensive, then those dollars can be saved for the bigger problem. I'm fairly confident it's the aftermarket PCV, but thought I would pause and ask for some wisdom and perspective from the community. Thanks!

This morning, I'm actually finishing up replacing the left rear window regulator clip and putting the door back together. Like I said, it never ceases, especially when one has time on holiday breaks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ooh, this is a good thread. Mine is quite severe, and I'll tell you mine coincided with the cooling system. It's now delivering exhaust to the coolant reservoir. Let's call it a head gasket

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I just had this (the case of the tooting pancake). I just replaced it with another Meyle, the old one lasted about 18 months I think. At this car’s age, it’s not worth the price of a new OEM, especially since you can get lifetime warranty replacement through FCP euro.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow-up and close out: I replaced the aftermarket crankcase ventilator valve with a VW OE one. The hooting noise is gone. Now on to the next issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts