Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hints on removing the PCV check valve under the intake manifold on a 1.8T (AUG)? I got the coolant recovery tank out of the way and unplugged the siphon pump from its two longitudinal connections, leaving it attached only to the PCV valve. Removing the screw-type clamp around the body of the PCV was no big deal, either. However, the valve won't come out of the rubber T-fitting, which I am afraid of damaging.

Unless one of you has a better idea, my next move will be to order a new T-fitting (it is 17 years old, so probably a good idea, anyway), and probably the big crankcase hose that feeds it. Other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
careful with the "elbow" crankcase rigid hose (has a metallic core) that goes to it . gets brittle over time and when trying to remove breaks into pieces which find there way to pick up screen, be safe and get all , elbow and tee.... as to getting it apart, rubber probably "baked" it in place

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Remove the intake manifold? You'd need a few gaskets but they aren't expensive and it's not that big a job to RnR the manifold. It would also let you check on everything down there and get at the coolant flange, etc if needed.

·
Registered
28,336 Posts
If the T fitting is 17 years old, it should be replaced along with the plastic tube to the left going into the engine block. The rubber degrades internally and it can clog the valve. The plastic will snap if it is looked at the wrong way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts