Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the whole car pc world and admittedly know nothing about this. But i have a sony vaio 1.3 celeron desktop. What would happen if i put that into my trunk and put a touch screen in the dash? Using a dc to ac inverter and wireless keyboeard and mouse? would it work?

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
technically yes, but there are many other options out there with less power consumption and better fitment for you car ..
Im personally using a e-vectra , but my project is not done yet , do a research for mini-itx computers and you will find a lot of info about them.

Fabio

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
A lot of people use desktop hard drives without a problem, but I believe is decreases their lifetime considerably. And of course it can crap out after one good bump.
What I've seen people do is mount the HDD using rubber bands, so it floats and isn't directly touching any solid surface.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Another thing about using a laptop in the trunk is: Turning it on. You'll either need to create a way to remotely power-up the laptop or open the trunk and manually turn on the laptop every time you want to use it.

I'm using the Mini-ITX board and a Car Power Sequencer and Dropout Regulator [ITPS], so that when I turn on my car, five seconds later my PC boots up.

Good idea about using rubber bands - I'm using wetsuit material to cushion the case, acting as a shock absorber.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats a great idea aobut the rubber bands. I'm working on that now. With the itx boards you all are running, can you play games? What about ms office?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I haven't tried any games, I use mine for DVDs, MP3s, GPS and internet/email. MS Office should work fine.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
mdtoney said:
Anybody selling something like this pre-packaged and ready to install? Any word on pricing, or options?
There's this: Feeler: CarPC in a Box w/ 7" Touchscreen (Loaded).

Since you're in Seattle, you should drop down to Fry's and check out some of the Mini-ITX systems there. Prices seem to be good and you might luck out and find a sales person that knows what they are talking about. More fun building your own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.