Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allow me to learn you about the PC CHIPS tv tuner. As time goes on I'm learning that this card is designed for the rest of the world and not north america. I've had consistantly washed out (bright) captures off this card and as I make my way up the learning curve I'm starting to understand why:

North american electronics are designed for a reference black marker of 7.5 IRE (called setup or pedestal) whereas the rest of the world (because they are smart) keep it at 0 IRE

If you feed a card that expects 0 IRE 7.5 IRE you get a washed out capture because you are pushing the scale up as it's fed into the cap card. The manufacturer as well as the so called "tech support" from AJUMP keep dancing around the subject and have not given me a straight answer but my experience and testing tells me that this is the case.

So be warned all you North Americans (thats you too o' Canada) looking for capture cards! Make sure it's set for 7.5 IRE or better yet has some sort of switch or you will be very pissed... (like me)

Here is an excellent article (from a manufacturer of a $300 solution :roll: ) on this subject. In particular part 3 at the end (reguarding capture cards)

http://www.signvideo.com/dv-black-levels-dvd-authoring-mpeg-2-part-1.htm

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
are you tuning RF or just capturing video via composite, svideo or similar?

for just a D/A video capture, my canopus external box works dandy. self contained solution, takes in yellow or svideo (plus audio) and puts out firewire/DV.

It Just Plain Works(tm).

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny you should respond like dat! Guess what's in a sealed shipping box right next to me?? :lol: :lol: Just arrived...

But I must say I may not go the advc-100 route... I'm currently looking at a JVC DV unit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=248591&is=REG

I have alot of vhs masters to convert and without consuming a terra in master DV I don't know how else I can economically keep the DV masters....

The other nice thing about the JVC unit is that it has built in TBC and filters which (as I understand) can be a must with nasty ol VHS...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW the advc-100 has a 0 IRE - 7.5 IRE switch! :bow:

linux-works were you the one that pointed me to dvdrhelp.com?? It's been alot of help but there are also alot of krak pot misinformation spreaders over there... sall good tho...

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
upshot said:
Funny you should respond like dat! Guess what's in a sealed shipping box right next to me?? :lol: :lol: Just arrived...

But I must say I may not go the advc-100 route... I'm currently looking at a JVC DV unit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=248591&is=REG

I have alot of vhs masters to convert and without consuming a terra in master DV I don't know how else I can economically keep the DV masters....

The other nice thing about the JVC unit is that it has built in TBC and filters which (as I understand) can be a must with nasty ol VHS...
You can't convert them to DVD. Isn't the whole reason you pull them in to you computer to provide a clean video transfer to a digital format.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey linux-works what cap software/compression(if any) are you using with your advc?

octick - the JVC has some fancy "digi-pure" circuts inbetween the vhs and the miniDV that provide TBC (time base correction), Color enhancement, and Noise reduction.... You could spend $3000 on a unit that does this inline before you capture to the computer... (not that I expect that level of quality). The key here is that I have 200 masters to convert and I don't want to buy all that HD space to store the "re-masters". At $4-6 bucks a pop the miniDV tapes are cost effective and stable compared to a fleet of external HDs

I'll transfer the miniDV (should be no loss of quality digit->digit) and encode over time... Then author.... ho hum... lots o work to do...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
upshot said:
Hey linux-works what cap software/compression(if any) are you using with your advc?
studio8, but I really hate it. it needs to be deinstalled/reinstalled almost after every use!

just haven't had time to research it more. ideally, I'd like to use a linux command line (NON gui) util to do the capture. I mean, there's 'run' and 'stop'. after that, you save the file. THEN go into some graphical thingie to edit. but NOT at capture time. I learned that lesson from capturing audio on winblows os's years ago..

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tested DVIO last night... Very compact and simple... No dropped frames and good audio sync.

All you do is set the file, and hit record. It has no other options to make things complex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts