Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Ultimate's are better, so i ordered them at importrp yesterday, but today, i got a phone call and e-mail stating that they were OOS, and that they're not scheduled to come in until April :(

so, back to the topic at hand, how do the Metal Masters compare to the Ultimates? is there a really big difference between the two? i'm not planning on racing or anything, but i do want good wet/cold braking power, since i think the OE stuff aren't really that great, IMO.

oh, and i just bought ate slotted powerdisc fronts with brembo oe rears.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
try parts411.com. they are located in california, but got me the ultimates in a week. they were very friendly on the phone, and seem to have the ultimates in stock

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
for me their price was exactly the same after shipping, and i did a search based on car first, not brake pad. I cant really comment other than what the website says about the diffrence because i have not tried either yet. TODAY IS THE BIG DAY... i am putting the brake pads on

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
www.zeckhausen.com has a comparison of several Axxis pads. Frankly it scared me after I bought the Ultimates, but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i thought that the original was very comprible to our stock pads, if this is so, then according to these charts you will be getting better oporating temp braking, but worse cold braking, and most of street cars braking, or highway cars braking is cold braking.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jeffsu350 said:
i thought that the original was very comprible to our stock pads, if this is so, then according to these charts you will be getting better oporating temp braking, but worse cold braking, and most of street cars braking, or highway cars braking is cold braking.
here's what importrp says about the deluxe:

"Exclusive OE equivalent organic compound provides outstanding stopping power with very low fade. Extremely quiet with proven long pad and rotor life and low rotor scoring. Provides measurably longer life and has extreme resistance to heat while delivering consistent, smooth braking performance."

anyone ever use the deluxe pads?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the metal masters. Although the deluxe are supposedly better in cold braking than metal masters the masters are still much better than our stock pads in every category.

·
Registered
718 Posts
do the ultimates or the metal masters come with all the shims that are needed? I'm have a tuff time deciding between the two. I like the fact that the metal masters have a long pad life and are fairly quiet, but I've also never tried a high performance pad like the ultimates, and would like to give it a shot just to get it out of my system. I'm just concerned about the proper shims because I'm not a big believer in using brake quiet or any other goop like that.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Shims are built into the pad iirc.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Now if you need PBR/Axxis Ultimate pads, did you contact ECS-Tuning or Zeckhausen Racing? Those guys usually keep the pads in stock!! David Zeckhausen was able to drop-ship my pads directly from the Axxis Distributor without any issues..

The Ultimates provide better cold and high speed braking grip than the Metal Masters. The Metal Masters also produce less brakedust than the Ulitmates. Don't sleep, the Ultimates are less dusty than OEM VW pads from Jurid and Pagid, but that's not a concern if you wash your car often.

Words of Wisdom
Please be sure to correctly bed your brakepads after installation. These aren't soft-compound pads!! Some mechanics will tell you to take it easy on the brakes for the first 200 miles while they bed in, but that's part of the problem with soft-compound pads. Follow a proper bedding procedure, and then you should enjoy quality miles on your brake setup.

·
Registered
718 Posts
yeah, I always thought thats what you were supposed to do too. what exactly is the proper procedure to bed in the pads? I assume your talking about the ultimates. Is it the same for the metal masters too?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
jeffsu350 said:
here's what importrp says about the deluxe:

"Exclusive OE equivalent organic compound provides outstanding stopping power with very low fade. Extremely quiet with proven long pad and rotor life and low rotor scoring. Provides measurably longer life and has extreme resistance to heat while delivering consistent, smooth braking performance."

anyone ever use the deluxe pads?
Most of highway cars braking (except in traffic) is cold braking... my brakes get VERY hot while driving on the streets, I almost always smell them when I get home after driving around. Lots of hills around here... and traffic is often bad, so that plays a part.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Mackman, basically the Metal Master pads are semi-metallics while the Ultimates use a Kevlar-Ceramic compound. I hate to ask this Mackman, but did you even do a websearch on PBR/Axxis Brake Pads on the Web using a search-engine?

http://www.axxisbrakes.com/

Mackman, you have to properly bed-in any brakepad you install in order to prevent rotor warping and help the pads wear evenly. Here's a site which describes a bed-in process.

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the PBR Original Deluxe on the rears of my 2000 1.8T wagon. Quiet and very low brake dust. Stopping power and feel similar to OEM. Very pleased.

I also use the Original Deluxe on the fronts and rears of my 3 series BMW and the experience is also positive. These pads are great for street use with the added benefit of being inexpensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
11 Participants
DrElectron
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing