Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

121 - 140 of 184 Posts

·
Whats Up Doc
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
WTF Patrick? When did this happen???
Nice is all I can tell, I am jealous! Can't afford a new car these days so I need to beat the shit out of my B5.5, lol... It is becoming a money pit though, last month I did the coolant flange, now the tie rods are shot, CEL is coming up every week now, gotta love VW... Good luck with that beast!!!

Ok, where was I when this happened???? Probably :sleep:
Ha Ha Ha I am loving all of the WTF's.....

Jack- thanks for the compliment!

James- I think I was sleeping too :)

So here is what Happened.....

This year has been well was my up keep year on the B5...CA's Oil pan gasket ect ect.... While I was doing the OPG to hopefully get rid of a nasty oil leak I had the snowball effect happen to me....I prep the car (drop oil) and clime under the car to take a look around and discovered the motor mounts were shot.... replaced those... now back to the oil pan removal ...what a nightmare...especially with my instructions lol (not mentiong a certian PW helpers name :poke: ) and realized that I had to disassemble half of my engine to get the damn thing off....

while removing the final bolt from the turbo support bracket i noticed a wire that had an odd grommet/ziptie combo and decided that I wouldn't cut it so i could move the wire...... (I soon realized this was a VERY bad move)
approxamately 45 seconds later while I was under the car my friend notices a strange red glow coming from the top of the engine bay..... makes a comment and thats when I looked up and said yeah its pretty bright down here too..... right about then the oil feed line that goes into the turbo disintagrated (sp) and the residual oil started to burn.....

after about 10-15 seconds of shock and awe mixed with the deer in the headlights look from my friend who was frozen standing over me while I was under the car..... I managed to get out from under the car quickly asses the situation at hand make it to the back of the car to get the extinguisher and get back up under the hood to put the fire out.....

About ready to cry at this point but still amped from the adrenaline i took a step back to calm my nerves...my 2 friends that were there asked me if I went to ninja school because of how I reacted and managed to make it to the back of my car with all of the crap that was in the garage and the lack of room for manuver that was down my chosen path out of the garage....

I took a look at the damage which was suprisingly very minimal.... it was only the oil feed line that was fubar'd......

so at this point the current status was.... oil pan - still not off, engine mounts removed, oil feed line needed....

fast forward a day

I have the pan back on the car engine mouts installed new OFL and start removing the intake mani.... discover the PCV system is blown out....and the cause of the damn leak and since its a sunday I cant get that so I continue with the OFL..... get the replaced and figured since Im in there i'd swap the valve cover gasket out too.... at this point I am thing it was a good thing I caught the car on fire cause I would have never discovered that PCV system was shot.... so I guess good does come from bad....

monday I get the PCV stuff and finish all the repairs and reinstalations....in that process I wound up breaking my dipstick funnel and was like what can be next.....15 bucks later....the order was placed with the dealer....

Here is where the B6 comes into the picture...

4 days later i get the call that my part has arrived.....and i make the trip get the part so as im talking to the parts guy who I have become a familiar face to he mentions that there is a B6 wagon out back that was traded in.... and that it was a 3.6 4 Mo ect ect..... I just laughed it off.....

My friend from school who is a salesman was working that day (he has been trying to get me to buy a CC) long story short I saw the car and well a week later I was driving it home......

This car is the first car I have ever test driven that made me smile and I mean that perma smile while I was out on my test drive i got a phone call from my salesman friend asking if I was planning on coming back (i was gone for almost an hour).....

so there you have it..... the unplaned maint that turned into a new to me 2007 3.6L 4Motion wagon....

I can honestly say I loved my B5....I put a lot of work into it....and managed to turn some heads....but knowing that I had a pretty good track record of no major issues with the car I started to think that there was going to be some more things down the road that would be requiring attention.... upper CA's TB, potential turbo (135k) and some tranny work.... I knew it was probably time to move on.....

So i pulled the trigger on the B6 and havent looked back since.... the thing amazing and is loaded with all the options.... I haven't been happier with a car..EVER and well, if you guys are ever up in the PNW.... ill take you for a spin :)

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,449 Posts
Ha Ha Ha I am loving all of the WTF's.....

Jack- thanks for the compliment!

James- I think I was sleeping too :)

So here is what Happened.....

This year has been well was my up keep year on the B5...CA's Oil pan gasket ect ect.... While I was doing the OPG to hopefully get rid of a nasty oil leak I had the snowball effect happen to me....I prep the car (drop oil) and clime under the car to take a look around and discovered the motor mounts were shot.... replaced those... now back to the oil pan removal ...what a nightmare...especially with my instructions lol (not mentiong a certian PW helpers name :poke: ) and realized that I had to disassemble half of my engine to get the damn thing off....

while removing the final bolt from the turbo support bracket i noticed a wire that had an odd grommet/ziptie combo and decided that I wouldn't cut it so i could move the wire...... (I soon realized this was a VERY bad move)
approxamately 45 seconds later while I was under the car my friend notices a strange red glow coming from the top of the engine bay..... makes a comment and thats when I looked up and said yeah its pretty bright down here too..... right about then the oil feed line that goes into the turbo disintagrated (sp) and the residual oil started to burn.....

after about 10-15 seconds of shock and awe mixed with the deer in the headlights look from my friend who was frozen standing over me while I was under the car..... I managed to get out from under the car quickly asses the situation at hand make it to the back of the car to get the extinguisher and get back up under the hood to put the fire out.....

About ready to cry at this point but still amped from the adrenaline i took a step back to calm my nerves...my 2 friends that were there asked me if I went to ninja school because of how I reacted and managed to make it to the back of my car with all of the crap that was in the garage and the lack of room for manuver that was down my chosen path out of the garage....

I took a look at the damage which was suprisingly very minimal.... it was only the oil feed line that was fubar'd......

so at this point the current status was.... oil pan - still not off, engine mounts removed, oil feed line needed....

fast forward a day

I have the pan back on the car engine mouts installed new OFL and start removing the intake mani.... discover the PCV system is blown out....and the cause of the damn leak and since its a sunday I cant get that so I continue with the OFL..... get the replaced and figured since Im in there i'd swap the valve cover gasket out too.... at this point I am thing it was a good thing I caught the car on fire cause I would have never discovered that PCV system was shot.... so I guess good does come from bad....

monday I get the PCV stuff and finish all the repairs and reinstalations....in that process I wound up breaking my dipstick funnel and was like what can be next.....15 bucks later....the order was placed with the dealer....

Here is where the B6 comes into the picture...

4 days later i get the call that my part has arrived.....and i make the trip get the part so as im talking to the parts guy who I have become a familiar face to he mentions that there is a B6 wagon out back that was traded in.... and that it was a 3.6 4 Mo ect ect..... I just laughed it off.....

My friend from school who is a salesman was working that day (he has been trying to get me to buy a CC) long story short I saw the car and well a week later I was driving it home......

This car is the first car I have ever test driven that made me smile and I mean that perma smile while I was out on my test drive i got a phone call from my salesman friend asking if I was planning on coming back (i was gone for almost an hour).....

so there you have it..... the unplaned maint that turned into a new to me 2007 3.6L 4Motion wagon....

I can honestly say I loved my B5....I put a lot of work into it....and managed to turn some heads....but knowing that I had a pretty good track record of no major issues with the car I started to think that there was going to be some more things down the road that would be requiring attention.... upper CA's TB, potential turbo (135k) and some tranny work.... I knew it was probably time to move on.....

So i pulled the trigger on the B6 and havent looked back since.... the thing amazing and is loaded with all the options.... I haven't been happier with a car..EVER and well, if you guys are ever up in the PNW.... ill take you for a spin :)
Lol, and you kept calling me the whole time.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
SAY AGAIN?! murdered? you mean the AR? How big is the compressor gonna be? Yeesh i need to hurry up and go on cruise so i can LOWER this 8 year old thing. (but engine looks brand spanking new)

BTW, i told you already, but the new ride looks fresh. i love the 3.6, and the 4mo, just missed the 1 CRITICAL aspect... the manual.........

121 - 140 of 184 Posts