Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yes, RIP to ALL of our fallen soldiers. We appreiate all they do for us and they will be respected and missed.

lets not get hyped up again. We all see how things will turn out.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Postman said:
passaturbonium said:
Linux....your thoughts? 8) :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm not siding w/ him but i do think his post was taken out of context. i would have altered the text of that post but i do think he was taken out of context.

anyhoo..IB4TL

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Medrosje said:
Postman said:
passaturbonium said:
Linux....your thoughts? 8) :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm not siding w/ him but i do think his post was taken out of context. i would have altered the text of that post but i do think he was taken out of context.

anyhoo..IB4TL
2ND That.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Medrosje said:

anyhoo..IB4TL
I don't think that is possible since the entire context was in that thread. I think he did a poor job of saying what he really wanted to say and it ended up offending people. One way to look at it is, say, Tillman's wife was reading that thread: I wonder if he would be proud of his comments?

Anyhow, my sympathies to Tillman's family & friends.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
What makes this guy special is not the fame and money he had and gave up on in order to serve his country, but the principle of what he did. He did the exact opposite of what 99.9% of population of US would do if in his shoes. I think that is the essence that linux and many others are failing to see. Instead of recognizing the selflessness of his action and therefore showing positive example some are attacking him posthumously as if he wanted the fame. Remember, he had the fame and gave it up. That makes the argument put forth by his distractors null and void.
What people who voice displeasure at the publicity his death because of his past fame are completely missing is the need for positive examples that are needed in times of crisis. People like Pat Tillman have the capacity to bring people together, and make the nation stronger as whole. The difference between him and some other anonymous soldier who is also honorably serving is the fact that the anonymous soldier was known only by his family and friends, and Pat Tillman by majority of US population. The difference means that there is more emotional impact on more people because we associate ourselves with the celebrity as if we knew them. We feel compassion about the death of the anonymous soldier too, but it is not as strong. One only need to look at historical examples of celebrities serving in military in times of war to see this relation. Secondary, the celebrities that served, usually served in public relations positions nowhere near combat.
What makes Pat Tillman in my opinion more special than anybody else, is the fact that he went and shunned publicity. I am sure that the Army wanted to use him as example, but we never heard of his service nor any personal information of him serving. And he's been in the Army since 2002. That is the proof of his dedication and personal belief in service to his country.
I only wish that there were more Pat Tillmans because I believe that today people are more attuned to what rights they have, but responsibilities, and there are responsibilities in order to live in one of the most tolerant and economically advanced countries in the world today, are conveniently forgatten.

So RIP Pat Tillman, you were the man that many should strive to be. You served your country and paid the ultimate price for it. I stand here in awe and wish that I could be the man you were.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'd never heard of this guy until today. I generally do not expect sport-stars to be heros, until they do more than participate in a sport.

So, I'm sad, angry, and hurt for the Tillmans. i hope they can find some solace in the fact that Pat was a man of incredible integrity, and humility, as well as a man who was able to maintain the highest of sense of value, all too rare in this modern world, particularly under his conditions. And that he died doing what he wanted to do.
I seldom read about folks that i can tell I've truely missed out by not meeting that person first hand, Pat Tillman is clearly one of those people for whom this world is poorer for him not being here.

it's a shame the way the media plays out these stories, both the left and the right, more interested in their agenda, then telling a real hero's story.

Hundreds of Americans have died this year, and there's no way to show each of them the proper respect. and it's even more unfortunate how the first thread went.

So, I'll raise my glass To Pat Tillman tonight, and simply be sad that there are not more folks like him out there; And that when there are, god wants them back way too soon. :drink: :beer: :cry:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
:( Damn!!! This man is a role model, and every professional athlete should stop and count their blessings.

God Bless all of our soldiers around the world, and keep the Tillman family in your prayers..

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
Boris said:
What makes this guy special is not the fame and money he had and gave up on in order to serve his country, but the principle of what he did. He did the exact opposite of what 99.9% of population of US would do if in his shoes. I think that is the essence that linux and many others are failing to see. Instead of recognizing the selflessness of his action and therefore showing positive example some are attacking him posthumously as if he wanted the fame. Remember, he had the fame and gave it up. That makes the argument put forth by his distractors null and void.
What people who voice displeasure at the publicity his death because of his past fame are completely missing is the need for positive examples that are needed in times of crisis. People like Pat Tillman have the capacity to bring people together, and make the nation stronger as whole. The difference between him and some other anonymous soldier who is also honorably serving is the fact that the anonymous soldier was known only by his family and friends, and Pat Tillman by majority of US population. The difference means that there is more emotional impact on more people because we associate ourselves with the celebrity as if we knew them. We feel compassion about the death of the anonymous soldier too, but it is not as strong. One only need to look at historical examples of celebrities serving in military in times of war to see this relation. Secondary, the celebrities that served, usually served in public relations positions nowhere near combat.
What makes Pat Tillman in my opinion more special than anybody else, is the fact that he went and shunned publicity. I am sure that the Army wanted to use him as example, but we never heard of his service nor any personal information of him serving. And he's been in the Army since 2002. That is the proof of his dedication and personal belief in service to his country.
I only wish that there were more Pat Tillmans because I believe that today people are more attuned to what rights they have, but responsibilities, and there are responsibilities in order to live in one of the most tolerant and economically advanced countries in the world today, are conveniently forgatten.

So RIP Pat Tillman, you were the man that many should strive to be. You served your country and paid the ultimate price for it. I stand here in awe and wish that I could be the man you were.
VERY WELL PUT!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Boris, I couldn't have said it better.

When I read of Pat's death today, it did hit me much harder than that of a soldier I'd never heard of. It brought things closer to home. I'm a rabid football fan and became aware of Pat when I was in a league a few years back that had individual defensive players (I also had him on my team a couple of years back in the ClubB5 league).

From watching him play the game of football (he was a badass that was always around the ball), I was none too surprised to learn that he had enlisted in the Army instead of signing a multi-year deal to keep playing for the Cardinals (he had also turned down more money a few years back to play for another team out of loyalty to the Cardinals).

I was stunned, awed and humbled when I learned that he gave up the NFL to serve his country.

I too wish that I could be the man that Pat Tillman was. He was a selfless hero. He did something that no other pro athlete of our day would do.

The only way that I can make sense of it is that I believe that God sometimes calls His best home before the rest of us are ready.

Pat Tillman, rest in peace, you made the world a much better place and I know that Heaven is a better place now too.

:cry:

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
SpecialKDog1 said:
And God bless his brother Kevin who is still in the Mideast with his fellow Rangers serving his country as well. :beer: :bow:

/karl
along with all the thousands of others! :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
15 Participants
Urlik
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing