Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Thanks to this forum I have had much help from the posted to work through issues with my 99 Passat manual 1.8T.

With all this knowledge I took on the project of replacing my front passenger side wheel bearing. While I am removing the wheel bearing I ordered a new hub as well. Project had its struggles since I was looking at guide of a older Passat but I adapted.

OK so here is where I am completed confused and baffled. old hub out and old bearing out, replaced with new bearing (going the correct way) and new hub.
MY ISSUES: my passenger drive shaft does not fit into the new hub.. WTF!!:mad: its metal on metal does not seem to want to slide in at all!

I ordered both hub and bearing from my local autozone:

Wheel Hub - Front | 1999 Volkswagen Passat 4 Cylinders 1.8L SFI Turbo | AutoZone.com

Old hub fits fine on axle spline, of course I did not test fit new hub...

splines on both hubs are 33, they seem exactly the same, I am grabbing a Vanier clapper to measure inside diameter differences between the two hubs tonight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
If they gave you the correct part and the part is machined to the correct tolerances, the axle spline should fit into the hub. Measuring is a good idea.

Could the hub splines have gotten messed up from the pressing process? It's a tight fit so any deformation of either part can cause them not to fit properly.

Press the bearing into the upright with pressure on the upright and the outer race of the bearing assembly.
Press the hub into the bearing with pressure on the hub and the inner race of the bearing.

Did you use a hydraulic press? A threaded bearing puller/pusher? A really big hammer?

·
Registered
391 Posts
pull it apart and take it to a shop let thim press it for you .. press is required for proper and safe installation ..you can hit it up and drop cold bearing in it but ..it can give you a problem

1 - 3 of 3 Posts