Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Michelin Pilot Exalto...>

1. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 195/65/R15 purchased from Tire Rack for around $100 each. They are on my fiancee's 2002 wagon. Mounted at 88K and rotated with every 5K oil change. Currently 130K.

2. She zips around Portsmouth, RI with occasional trips to Providence, Boston & Beverly. Driving style is zippy with the car rarely being really pushed.

3. Very good dry traction, always gripped, never let loose, behaved well in the few defensive extreme situations they've been put in.

4. Wet traction is excellent, never hydroplaned, never lost grip that I know of.

5. They've been through 3 New England winters and have performed well. I have heard complaints of some skidding & letting loose in icy conditions, but overall they are good winter tires. I was hoping for slightly better as I figured the low warranty mileage ( 45K ) was due to stickier rubber and better snow/ice handling. TR reviews indicated good winter performance and that's what it delivered.

6. No noise and very comfortable ride. Very solid in corners and we run at only 32 - 34. A stealership once gave it back to us with all tires at 44 saying that was what they were supposed to have!

7. 42K now and closing in on wear bars. I'm trying to decide whether to replace before fourth winter. They will probably make 45K, will not go over 50K for sure. And that's with a rotation at every oil change. I have General Grabbers on my MDX and am happy with them, may give them a try on the Passat wagon.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
1. Kumho ECSTA AST, 235/45r17 94H XL

2. Average to Spritied back roads

3. Handling/Grip: Decent. Better than the Pirelli P6 4-seasons that came with the car.

4. Wet Traction: Can easily be broken loose from APR Stage 1 turbo powah. Still has decent grip cornering in my commute

5. Snow and Ice Traction: N/A.

6. Noise/Tire comfort: It's reasonable.

7. Tire Wear: decent... had them for about 20,000 miles, wearing decently for its relative treadwear rating.

It's a cheap tire. Didn't have high hopes anyway. Does have decent on-center feel, which tends to be an issue with OE tires with the B6 Passat

1. General Altimax Arctic, 205/50r17 93Q XL

3. Handling/Grip: Decent. Lots of tread squirm (to be expected from this type of tire)

4. Wet Traction: Still has decent grip cornering in my commute

5. Snow and Ice Traction: I can't tell the difference between these & Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI's I had before

6. Noise/Tire comfort: It's reasonable. Noisier than the Nokians. Much much quieter than Winterforce

7. Tire Wear: decent... had them for about 10,000 miles. Decent wear.

Continental chose right. Reuse a proven Gislaved NordFrost 3 tire. Americans won't know the difference. Plus the B6 Passat FWD isn't a great car in the winter. As long as the roads are flat and/or minimal inclines, it is fine. Steep inclines, the car has trouble.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

1. Hankook Icebear W300, 235/45r17 97V XL

3. Handling/Grip: Wow!!!! lots of grip for a snow tire (my first performance winter)

4. Wet Traction: Plenty of cornering grip during my curvy commute/

5. Snow and Ice Traction: TO be determined

6. Noise/Tire comfort: to be determined

7. Tire Wear: to be determined

·
Registered
16 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Review

1. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus 225/45R17. I paid $175.00/tire plus tax, which included mounting and balancing.

2. Definitely spirited driving. They see dry pavement to deep snow and ice here in the northeast.

3. Handling and grip on dry pavement is great. Very predictible lateral slide when pushed hard...no sudden loss of traction.

4. Relatively speaking (in comparison to dry and snow), wet traction, in my opinion, is this tire's strongest area. It has nice siping and very little hydroplaning

5. Snow and ice traction is great, not excellent, particularly in comparison to a dedicated winter tire and/or studs but I have no problem, when driving conservatively in snow up to 10 inches or so.

6. Noise and comfort are exceptional. A lot quieter than my previous directionals.

7. The wear quality seems consistent with the warranty...45,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
1. Continental dw 225/45/17 .$550.

2. Spirted ith the k04 and tune.

3. these tires are way better then the pirelli p zeros I had. Beter grip and handling.

4. Same with wet traction alot beter then pirelli p zeros

5. Snow and Ice Traction. DRY AND WET ONLY

6. Nice and quiet and also a more comfortable ride then the pirellis

7. I havent had them long enough
Summary of anything else you like/or would like to see improved with the tire.
I recommen these tires
Nice and light weight. Lightest tires I could find with this much grip
If theres anything else you guys think we should add let me know. I think this could provide to be a valuable too for people looking to purchase new tires. The more people who participate the better it will be. Also please provide usefull feedback. Statements like "This tire sucks" isnt going to help any one out. Let us know what specificly you did or didnt like about the tire.

Rudy[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. The Brand/Model and Size ( Example: Goodyear Eagle F1 225/45R17) Also can include price and where purchased.
Nitto Motivo's | 235/40/R18 | Discount Tire @ $145/piece

2. Tell us about your driving style.( Sprited or Average drive, Highway or City or Mix, All Season, Summer or Winter tires and any thing special like autocrossing, road racing ect.)
Spirited driving. Mix of both city and highway. No autocross/racing.

3. Handling/Grip (Dry Traction, Responsiveness ect.)
Being an all-season tire, dry traction isn't as good as dedicated UHP summer tires but that's to be expected. When warmed up, these Motivo's will lose traction if I were to floor it from a standstill. (About 210WHP on my FWD B6 Passat 2.0T)

4. Wet Traction (Wet Grip, Hydroplanning resistance ect.)
Wet traction is actually better than dry traction. Good hydroplaning resistance and feels stable @ highway speeds during downpours.

5. Snow and Ice Traction/ If available
Pretty good snow traction given that I only got stuck once this past winter and that's because the road I was at isn't leveled and has sort of a dip in the middle. Also, my car is sitting lowered on coilovers which could be another factor. But besides that, no issues with snow at all. Of course, not as sure-footed as dedicated winter tires but that is expected from an all-season tire.

6. Noise/Tire comfort
Very good in terms of comfort and noise. Coming from the stock 16" Michelin's, it didn't feel noisier or that much harsher.

7. Tire Wear/ If you have had the tire long enough to rate.
Had the tires for about 11000 miles now and its showing little wear. These Motivos come with a 60,000 mile warranty and by the looks of it, it might be able to reach that. Of course, I would be changing them way before it hits 60,000 miles :lol:

Overall, a pretty decent all-season tire. The only thing that I'm not too happy about is with the dry grip. But I shouldn't expect summer level performance with an all-season tire especially when I'm putting down ~210WHP on just the front wheels. If I had 4Motion it probably wouldn't even be an issue.

·
Registered
451 Posts
1. Continental dw 225/45/17 .$550.

2. Spirted ith the k04 and tune.

3. these tires are way better then the pirelli p zeros I had. Beter grip and handling.

4. Same with wet traction alot beter then pirelli p zeros

5. Snow and Ice Traction. DRY AND WET ONLY

6. Nice and quiet and also a more comfortable ride then the pirellis

7. I havent had them long enough
Summary of anything else you like/or would like to see improved with the tire.
I recommen these tires
Nice and light weight. Lightest tires I could find with this much grip
If theres anything else you guys think we should add let me know. I think this could provide to be a valuable too for people looking to purchase new tires. The more people who participate the better it will be. Also please provide usefull feedback. Statements like "This tire sucks" isnt going to help any one out. Let us know what specificly you did or didnt like about the tire.

Rudy
[/QUOTE]

Re: Conti DWs
Retiring 225.50.17s that I originally installed as summer rubber May 2016. Four summers, 43500 miles. Still plenty of dry grip. Will buy again.
Grandpa Bill

41 - 49 of 49 Posts