Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the opportunity for you to review a tire you own or have alot of expierence with. I would recommend the following format for the review:

1. The Brand/Model and Size ( Example: Goodyear Eagle F1 225/45R17) Also can include price and where purchased.

2. Tell us about your driving style.( Sprited or Average drive, Highway or City or Mix, All Season, Summer or Winter tires and any thing special like autocrossing, road racing ect.)

3. Handling/Grip (Dry Traction, Responsiveness ect.)

4. Wet Traction (Wet Grip, Hydroplanning resistance ect.)

5. Snow and Ice Traction/ If available

6. Noise/Tire comfort

7. Tire Wear/ If you have had the tire long enough to rate.

Summary of anything else you like/or would like to see improved with the tire.

If theres anything else you guys think we should add let me know. I think this could provide to be a valuable too for people looking to purchase new tires. The more people who participate the better it will be. Also please provide usefull feedback. Statements like "This tire sucks" isnt going to help any one out. Let us know what specificly you did or didnt like about the tire.

Rudy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O.k. I will do the first one.

General Exclaim UHP 225/45R17.

I am a sprited driver. I drive about 60% Highway and 40% City. These are a Performance Summer Tire. I do not autocross with this tire. I use a race compound tire for that.

This tire is has good Dry traction. They will break loose if pushed hard, but do give a warning squeal when at there limit. The sidewall is a little softer then most perfomance tires I have driven on in the past. The responsiveness of this tire is also good. When you start to touch the wheel the tire responds quickly to the input.

Wet Traction for this tire is even better then the Dry performance. The highly directional tread pattern evacuates water quickly. I have drive at 70 mph on the interstate during a hard rain. These tires never felt unstable or like they were going to Hydorplane.

This is a Summer try no intended to be drive in snow. I did drive it in 1 inch of snow once and it suprised me that it was acceptable. Keep in mind I have AWD. I run a snow tire in the winter. (review on that tire later)

The General is really suprisingly quiet for a Performance tire. I believe the softer sidewall I mention earlier helps act as a shock absorber for the bumps. The tire rides very smooth on good roads. Its a little firm on rough roads but certainly acceptable.

I think I will get 30,000 miles out of these.

There might be better tires out there then the General, but based on every thing it does for the price it is this is a solid choice. Conti acctually owns General now and this is one of there most popular tires in Germany.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
1. General Exclaim UHP 205/55R16. Under $100
2. I drive like I'm on crack
3. better than any tire at its price range deserves to be. There's probably a gripper tire, but it probably wears much worse and cost 2x as much. A tocuh of wallow from the 55 series, but probably better than anything else.
4. Wet traction is better than any tire I've ever had
5. It sucks, but no worse than most no-season.
6. Not bad at all, but then I don't care that much about this. Much quiter than my winters
7. 20-30k replacing at 4/10s. Given that i drive like a nutter, this is pretty damn good for a UHP. i've put maybe 15kish on these?
Highly recommended.
edit: Tires lasted about 20k, but were replaced due to an alignment issue. Not bad at all.
I do prefer my Bridgestones though (see below)

1. Nokian WR 205/55R16 (91H -- they make a V rated thats not supposed to be as good in snow). technically these are all-wetaher tires, but I use em as snows and they have a mountain snow flake. $150 per tire
2. i drive like an idiot, but i tone it down in the winter. No wheelspin except on snow/ice.
3. Very good for a "winter" tire. Better than the OEMs for sure and better than many other all-seasons.
4. Pretty darn good wet traction, but not as good as the generals.
5. Where they shine. I can plow up to or above my plate without issue and I'm FWD. I did not get stuck once this winter including being out in the two worst snow storms of the year on unplowed roads. Oh and they rock if you like to "play" in the snow too. 40+mph snowy OPUS runs for the MFW. That said, as they wear snow performance is dropping rather dramatically.
6. Quite noisy but rather comfortable. Its a winter tire after all.
7. 20k or less to 4/10 or a bit above. this is a 50k mi tire, so this is absolute junk. Plus as warranty only kicks in at 2/10, which is well below safe on a snow, i won't get crap for it. I've put 10k on these.
Would not recommend. Get hakkas or ICE-Xs instead. This things wear like crazy and don't give you full on snow benefits of hakkas or ICE-Xs. Which is sad because, in therory these should be amazing tires. honestly, after this, i'm not sure I'd buy a Nokian again, even thier pretty damn good hakkas are dead to me.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
1. Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/45/17 (discontinued for the Proxes 4, but still available)

2. 80-90% highway with the rest being several short trips. "average" driving, though it gets more spirited as traffic conditions allow.

3. Handles better than the stock Michelins that came with the car. Overall dry traction is better than wet traction.

4. Wet Traction is good. Could be better, but good. Tires are directional so this helps. No hydroplaning.

5. N/A

6. Very little noise*, fairly comfortable, but after going from 15" up to 17" I noticed a bit more harshness but not much.

7. Tires have been on car for about 27,000 miles and still have plenty of tread left.

* I currently have noticeable noise coming from the front due to some inside cupping. I think this is from driving for about 1600 miles without an alignment after getting a fairly aggressive drop. So, it probably isnt a fault of the tires. Overall I have been happy with them, although I do not have a lot of previous trie purchases to compare to.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
1. Continental ExtremeContacts 225-45-17 Z rated. Paid about 100 bucks per tire from RUDY!!

2. Most of my driving is average with some spirited. Now living in the DC area that could be considered different to other areas of the country. 50 percent of my driving is done on the highway. Mainly at speeds of 70-80 (like I said..thats normal conditions in the DC area). The 25 percent would be in the "burbs". Some roads are twisty, some are long and flat. Remaining 25 percent is done in the city. Potholes are everwhere and ducking and dodging them is a must. DC weather consist of humid temps in the summer and cold temp in the winter with periods of snow and ice. I use these tires year round and do about 12K miles a year

3. Handling from these tires has been great. Going from a 15 inch wheel to a 17 inch wheel really made a difference. There is a lot more confidence in my cornering abilities now. These tires have never sqweeled (sp?) or anything going around corners. I cannot complain at all about the dry weather traction.

4. Wet weather...I can honestly say that I do not rememebr even hydroplaning with these tires. Although I try to avoid large bodies of water when driving. Wet weather, much like dry, has been outstanding.

5. Snow was my biggest concern,. I bought Kumho Ecsta's a few years ago and they did nothing for me in snow. So here I am again with 17 inch wheels faced with a decent snow storm. I could not have been anymore more impressed with the way these tires handled in the snow. Our snow fall is usually not great, but enough to make all seasons a definate requirememnt in this area. Traction through 4-6 inches of snow had very minimal slippage.

6. I did notice a little bit more noise, but got used to it really quick. I also noticed I feel the bumps a little bit when driving. The again I went from 195-65-15 to 225-45-17. Less side wall with harder tires means I can feel them a little.

7. Best example I can give. I hade a set for almost a year, put about 10K miles on them. Bought them with 3K miles on them already. When I hit a pothole it knocked out 2 tires. The insurance company was going to depreciate the wear on the tires for my new ones. They only knocked off 10 percent. I couldnt belive that after 13K miles on the tires, they thought they were that close to being new.

After purchasing these I will have a hard time ever purchasing anything else. They are great tires for all season, all tyoes of driving. Price isnt to bad either

Pete

·
Registered
151 Posts
O.k. I will do the first one.

General Exclaim UHP 225/45R17.

I think I will get 30,000 miles out of these.

There might be better tires out there then the General, but based on every thing it does for the price it is this is a solid choice. Conti acctually owns General now and this is one of there most popular tires in Germany.
Thanks for the review, Rudy. I had already been planning to buy a set in that very size for my W8, but hadn't found any first-hand reviews from someone who'd actually had 225/45-17. You pretty much confirmed all the reasons I'd thought to get them... cheers!

Edit: I bought the UHPs on Monday, and returned them today... absolutley a bad choice for sporty suspensions (mine's the W8 w/ 1BE)!

Here's the review I just submitted on TireRack's website:

While I was looking for an affordable high-performance tire to replace the OEM Michelin MXM4s on my W8 Sport, I read all the glowing reviews on this tire and thought "What a bargain!" and "the few negative reviewers must be uninformed", etc.

While I have no issue with all the great comments about great ride comfort, low road noise, and the great traction of this tire, I had serious issues with the stability of this tire on my W8 Passat (which comes with the factory sports suspension and 17x7.5 wheels - all stock).

Even when slightly overinflated, steering response at highway speeds (starting at about 65 mph) was nil. Although the tires had inspiring traction, any change to steering inputs or a bump midway through a turn (not even really pushing the tire - since they were new) would totally upset the car and result in a wallowing feeling that was not confidence-inspring at all. I thought "OK - I can deal with that..."

But... then I considered the possiblity of an emergency lane change at highway speeds. I evaluated that by just performing some small swerves (half a lane max) on an open stretch of highway at about 70 mph, and this tire just could not handle anything of the sort. The steering feedback was nil, and the tendency to wallow was alarmingly severe.

I felt absolutley unsafe driving with this tire on my (admittedly slightly heavier) sports sedan in traffic where anything can happen, so I promptly had the tires removed this morning and replaced them with Kumho ECSTA ASX - problem solved. I can't comment on why so many people seem so satisfied with this tire, but it is absolutely the wrong tire for responsive sport-tuned suspensions, european or otherwise. It completely ruined all the extra responsiveness and precise handling that is built into my car. Swapping to another ultra high performance tire (albeit a true all-season tire) made the difference that much more evident.

(I didn't buy from Tire Rack this time... I paid a little more, but I'm glad of that this time, because it was easy to return the General UHPs to the other major chain's store for no charge)
Not much else to add other than I had less than 100 miles on these before I swapped them out for the Kumho ASX. Caveat Emptor... they may be all right on a lighter car, or one without such a taut suspension, but they were defintiely the wrong choice for my W8.

·
Registered
510 Posts
1. Falken Zeix 512 215/60R-15

2. 4 wheel drifts when taking off ramps.

3. Excellent dry traction. Can break them loose in 1st and 2nd but after that they're sticky.

4. Not the best. Probably more to do with tire size, but after I got chipped I really have to baby it in the rain. I've literally spun the tires up through 4th gear,

5. N/A I live in Florida

6. Low road noise compared to the Pontezas that were on there.

7. N/A I drive too aggressive to rate or care about tire wear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
^^^ I have the same size and I agree with everything he has stated, but living in NJ I had the chance to try them in snow/ice.
Cold weather traction has been very poor, considering that this is a M+S rated all season tire. By late October last year I had around 15,000 miles on them and as the weather got colder, the less traction I had.
The worst was stopping in a straight line. Simply think of braking and the ABS would kick in. Taking off from dead stops has been somewhat manageable, but poor as well.

I wouldn't recommend them for winter driving

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
1. The Brand/Model and Size

Goodyear Eagle F1 D3 245/35 R19 purchased from TireRack.

2. Tell us about your driving style.( Sprited or Average drive, Highway or City or Mix, All Season, Summer or Winter tires and any thing special like autocrossing, road racing ect.)

I tend to be a spirited to average driver when driving in city. However, I live in an area where there are quite a few two-lane roads with a few twists and turns so in those areas I tend to be a bit more “spirited” than average. I also drive many freeway miles when commuting from home in San Diego, CA to School in Riverside, CA so I would say the break down is about 60% Freeway miles and 40% in City.

Summer tires are best for my location in SoCal which is why I went with the good years. However what I loved about the Eagle’s is that they have an aggressive read pattern which also handles water very well for a summer tire.

Dry Traction is great! Especially over my previous tires (I previously had the Yokohama ES-100 325/40/18) which I could get to break loose on some of the most intense turns if I took them fast enough. However, with the Eagles I cannot even try to break them loose on the turns. I feel very confident driving on almost any road type and they’re very responsive when it comes to moving the wheel around, even though I have 8.5” tires.

For a summer tire the Eagle’s Hydroplanning resistance is very good. This is likely because of the tread pattern which helps filter out water. I actually hydroplane noticebly less with this tire than I did with my previous ones.

N/A

6. Noise/Tire comfort

This is what I loved the most about this tire, the fact that they are so quiet. They tend to, as all tires do, get a bit louder when they need to be rotated but overall they’re very quiet and comfortable. It was important to me to find a tire which was quiet and comfortable because I do a heavy amount of freeway driving and I also have 19” rims.

So far so good. With mostly freeway driving I have rotated them three times, so I have about 12k on them and they still feel relatively new and young. There is a bit of wear around the sides of the tire but this is normal and I haven’t noticed any sort of compromise in performance related to the wear.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,978 Posts
1. Continental ExtremeContacts 225-45-17 Z rated. Paid about 100 bucks per tire from RUDY!!

2. Most of my driving is average with some spirited. Now living in the DC area that could be considered different to other areas of the country. 50 percent of my driving is done on the highway. Mainly at speeds of 70-80 (like I said..thats normal conditions in the DC area). The 25 percent would be in the "burbs". Some roads are twisty, some are long and flat. Remaining 25 percent is done in the city. Potholes are everwhere and ducking and dodging them is a must. DC weather consist of humid temps in the summer and cold temp in the winter with periods of snow and ice. I use these tires year round and do about 12K miles a year

3. Handling from these tires has been great. Going from a 15 inch wheel to a 17 inch wheel really made a difference. There is a lot more confidence in my cornering abilities now. These tires have never sqweeled (sp?) or anything going around corners. I cannot complain at all about the dry weather traction.

4. Wet weather...I can honestly say that I do not rememebr even hydroplaning with these tires. Although I try to avoid large bodies of water when driving. Wet weather, much like dry, has been outstanding.

5. Snow was my biggest concern,. I bought Kumho Ecsta's a few years ago and they did nothing for me in snow. So here I am again with 17 inch wheels faced with a decent snow storm. I could not have been anymore more impressed with the way these tires handled in the snow. Our snow fall is usually not great, but enough to make all seasons a definate requirememnt in this area. Traction through 4-6 inches of snow had very minimal slippage.

6. I did notice a little bit more noise, but got used to it really quick. I also noticed I feel the bumps a little bit when driving. The again I went from 195-65-15 to 225-45-17. Less side wall with harder tires means I can feel them a little.

7. Best example I can give. I hade a set for almost a year, put about 10K miles on them. Bought them with 3K miles on them already. When I hit a pothole it knocked out 2 tires. The insurance company was going to depreciate the wear on the tires for my new ones. They only knocked off 10 percent. I couldnt belive that after 13K miles on the tires, they thought they were that close to being new.

After purchasing these I will have a hard time ever purchasing anything else. They are great tires for all season, all tyoes of driving. Price isnt to bad either

Pete
X2 but bought brand new and mounted from Discount tire (mistake). No real noticeable treadwear after 15K. snow traction is awesome for an A/S, never squeals, corners well. 90% of my driving is twisty backroads and they take bumps on stock suspension well. Mine are really noisy compared to others (Potenza G009) of the 235/45/17 variety on my A4.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
1. The Kumho ASX 225/45R17 (7.5 ET). Bought through indie mech, but through tire rack, nonetheless. Price was about $190 for two, I think.

2. Spirited Driving around the city, with to and from work being all highway. Weather is all season (in VA).

3. Dry Traction is awesome...ZERO complaints.

4. Wet Traction is great...I'm cautious in the rain anyways, but so far, had no issues of hydroplaning at all.

5. Snow and Ice Traction: Not yet...first season with these is coming up!

6. Noise/Tire comfort: Fine after you've been driving in them over 5 minutes. These tires REALLY have to warm up...after sitting overnight when slightly cold outside, these things feel like they are "out of round" for about 5-8 minutes. Then smooth as butter.

No complaints with highway noise at all.

7. Tire Wear: only had them about 3 months, so I haven't noticed any tire wear. Oh and I drive 350 miles a week...do the math on that one!

That cold start is really un-nerving.....I can't explain why they are like that, and fine in the summer/spring. Other than that, I'll be buying these again next round.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
504 Posts
1. The Brand/Model and Size: General Exclaim UHP 235/40-18 (purchased from TireRack)

2. Driving style: Mostly spirited, but not overly so. Mostly highway, some city.

3. Handling/Grip: Very good handling and responsiveness for my driving style and excellent grip.

4. Wet Traction: Excellent wet grip. Very good hydroplane resistance.

5. Snow and Ice Traction: not applicable.

6. Noise/Tire comfort: Superior when new, then progessed to fairly loud when worn.

7. Tire Wear: about 25k. a little disappointing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1. Potenza RE960AS Pole Position, 225/45-17, $135 per tire at Bridgestone
2. Spirited mostly highway driving during the weekdays, winding back roads on the weekends.
3. Fantastic grip and response for all season tires in the dry. The sidewall are stiff yet not too much to compromise ride. Provides good steering feedback and excellent braking. They will squeal before breaking loose.
4. Combined with my 4 motion these tires are unflappable in the wet. I have yet to hydroplane and braking remains good even in downpours.
With these tires, I look forward to the rain.
5. I thought the uni directional tread would not be good in the snow. However, I was wrong because in two blizzards this past winter I had no problems driving. The tread design was deep enough and provided enough drainage to cope with 3"-5" of snow. The only problems I had was ground clearance.
6. The RE960AS Pole Position's are quiet and comfortable. No humming sound at highway speeds or jarring ride over bumps.
7. I have had the RE960AS Pole Position's since Oct.06 and about 9k miles. They are wearing well and toward the middle as advertised. I rotated them twice since new. I expect to get 24-26 months of usable wear out of them.

I highly recommend RE960AS Pole Position's for anyone looking for a high performance all season tire.
The RE960AS Pole Position's are the best tires that I have ever had. I looked at Michelin Pilot's and the G009 but decided on these.
I had some bad experiences with Falken's and Kumho's. So, I decided to choose from the top two tire brands Michelin and Bridgestone based on their vast F1 experience.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Fulda Assuro 205/55R16

1. Brand - Model - Size
That's been taken care of in the post title. Originally purchased at NTB. I believe they were approx. $100, but it was a while ago.

2. Driving Style

Joe F-ing Cool. Honestly, I do about 50 miles RT a day in good ol' American stop-n-go, rush hour highway commuting. Nothing special.

3. Handling

Meh. I said, "meh."

4. Wet Traction

None to speak of.

5. Snow and Ice Traction

See "Wet Traction"

6. Noise/Tire comfort

Damned loud. I mean really, really loud. Amazingly loud for tires built with "German technology". (I just got a set of Falkens today, and I noticed an immediate difference in the sound quality of the ride.)

7. Tire Wear

The treads have lasted for no fewer than 40k miles and still look to have 30% life left, if not more.

The best question to ask is, "Would you buy these tires again?"

Fuck no. In addition to being ridiculously loud and having crappy wet/snow traction, I've now had a complete set of four tires rot out and crack through the sidewall. (Did I make a thread about it the first time that happened? I forget.) At any rate, I went to NTB today specifically to have my wheels/tires balanced because I was getting a little bit more road noise and some steering wheel vibration at highway speeds. Well, when I came back after 40+ minutes, the guy tells me that yes, the wheels were OOB, but also three of the four had serious dry rot / cracks in the inner sidewalls. This had already happened to one tire (thus giving me the complete set of four that "failed"), so I wanted to see if it was the same pattern as before. Sure enough, it was. I'll enver buy another Fulda and I'm not sure I can do anything with any Goodyear product at this point. This has never ever ever never ever happened with any other tire on any other car that I've ever owned.

I'm on to the Falken ZE-329's. Pray for me.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Bridgeston Potenza RE050A Pole Position 225/50/16
tirerack $128/tire

2. Tell us about your driving style.
I eat tires for lunch

Amaziung. When warm, one cannot spin the tires on asphalt. Grip is absolutely astounding in turns too. You will be amazed at what it will take to break them. And should you actually reach the limits you ahve plenty of warning (sound and feel).
However, while they're fine when cold, they don't have nearly the grip. Should you drive them like thier warm when cold, you will end up in the ditch.

Very good at every 80+. However, not a whole lot fo expernec

Hahaha

6. Noise/Tire comfort
Actually not bad on either, but i don't care about them.

Seems fine, but I only have 5-6k on them.

These are better than the exclaim UHPs which I still like. They're signifcantly more expensive, but if they last as long, it will be worth it. I do have a feeling I'll need to swap these for winters earlier than the exclaims based on cold tire performance.

Note that the 225 width is so much better than the 205, with minimal change in wet performance. However, they do tramline like mad.
I also like that they're not directional, which means I'll be able to cross rotate them and get more use out of them

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Continental Extreme Contact 205/65R15

1. Continental Extreme Contact 205/65R15. Purchased from Tire Rack. Price: (Don't remember) Around $400 shipped, mounted, & balanced for four.

2. Spirited driving on windy, twisty, paved country roads and highways.

3. Dry Traction: Very good with some squealing in hard corners.

4. Wet Traction: Very good with little or no hydroplaning.

5. Snow and Ice Traction: Excellent in snow up to 6 inches deep. No experience on ice.

6. Noise/Tire comfort: Louder than Conti Touring but this was expected. Comfort was very good

7. Tire Wear: Shot at 25k miles. Less than expected. Probably my driving at fault.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Tires review

1. Falken Ziex-512 225/45-17. I paid about $90/tire shipped from Vulcan Tires.

2. Average-to-sprited driving (depending upon the traffic), a 50/50 mix of hwy/city driving on all-season tires.

3. I have no complaints about these tires' handling capabilities. I've never broken traction (thanks 4Mo?) and they seem to grip equally well in both cold and hot temps.

4. See above - they perform as well on wet roads. In a quick, "Gee, I shudda gone there" turn, I thought for sure they were going to slip...it almost seemed like they were about to when the car snapped into line without missing a step! Don't believe I've ever noticed any hydroplaning (when I had sufficient tread!).

5. Used these both in WI winters (lotsa snow/icy conditions) and what little snow we get here in MD (ocassional dump of 12" or more), and traction is good - never felt the need to get winter tires. Again, it's hard to distinguish between the traction capabilities of the 4Mo and the traction qualities of the Falkens. I certainly have no complaints.

6. I had Michelins (4XVX?) on my 4Mo variant when I purchased it. I went with the Falkens when I bought new 17" rims. The difference, from traction to steering control to noise to cornering, was like night and day (due in part to moving from 16" to 17"??). I'm currently on my second set of Ziex-512s.

7. Wear is not too bad considering this is a W-rated tire - I think I got about 36K miles off the first set. I inflate them to 39/37 (F/R), and am diligent about rotating them.

I have no suggestions, except perhaps to make these more durable. I know these are being discontinued and replace with the Ziew-912, and hopefully they'll perform AT LEAST as well as the 512s (just ordered a set yesterday - stand by for a review in a few months).

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a B5 V6 FWD. I work at a shop and deal with a lot of tire sales. I always recommend and I personally follow for the New England weather that people get two sets of tires. I just installed Nokian WR G2 XL's on my stock 15 inch rim. We just had out first ice storm and they are not studded but still handled the road extremely well. Theyre terrific in the wet and wont let go of the dry pavement either. Only down side is that they do make some road noise but I highly recommend them

·
Registered
687 Posts
General Exclaim UHP/225/35/19

2. Tell us about your driving style.
Mainly highway and city

3. Handling/Grip
Maybe it's my lack of power but I can't seem to cut 'em loose. Only if I'm turning and pin it but that's cheating :lol:

4. Wet Traction
Phenomenal! So much confidence when driving in the rain and cornering.

5. Snow and Ice Traction
N/A

6. Noise/Tire comfort
Surprisingly very quiet! Maybe b/c I'm lowered and the wall size is 35mm... but you can really feel every bump on the road. But I'm not complaining. Also, Rudy mentioned that the sidewalls were soft? Mine are quite firm/solid... :poke:

Only had them for one summer so far. I'd say they didn't even wear down at all, still see the colour strips that they came with.

Summary of anything else you like/or would like to see improved with the tire
Great wear and tear (lack of in my case lol) Very cheap to buy, especially for 19's. Very underrated, people tend to lean towards brands like Michelin, Toyo, etc... Very satisfied with these, will definitely rebuy them when these ones are cooked.

·
Registered
26,963 Posts
1. The Brand/Model and Size ( Example: Goodyear Eagle F1 225/45R17) Also can include price and where purchased.

Kumho ASX 225/50/16. Bought them with wheels from Tire Rack. I don't remember the price, but they are pretty cheap.

Generally abusive when it comes to tires. Long trips (5K) with up to 1K straight through. Short commute at the speed limit. I don't slow down for corners and love to push the cornering to the limit.

Grip is decent, but responsiveness is not great at 28-32PSI. Pumped them up to 36-40 and they were better.

No hydroplaning until they are nearly shot, wet grip was ony fair.

They were pretty good for traction and braking in up to 6" of snow and on packed snow.

6. Noise/Tire comfort

Flatspotting when cold was bad. Since I have a short commute, it made it terrible. Noise was ok when new, but after 22K they started to get loud. Ride was very good.

About 30K on them and they are nearly down to the bars. I might get 2K more. My wife's car (05 Golf) has the same tire/size and has no complaints, but she does not push her car as much as I do (and it's 600lbs lighter). With 20K on hers, they are not even half worn.

I would not buy them again for my car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts