Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 v6. The tires are fine. 20vvillian actually saw them at the GTG so 2 is better then one (views). Today and yesterday the back feels loose like its moving to the left and right ever so slightly. He did say that the front tires were in need of a little more inflation.
Could that be causing it? I dont think its just me. I can feel it.
Its not too bad, but I notice it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Take your car to the alignment shop. They may not be able to immediately fix the problem, but at least you'll know they rear axle is straight and not bent or something. Also I would try rotating the tires front to back, and make sure the lug nuts are torqued properly.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
^
|
|

What he said.

Make sure that your left and right tire pressures are equal on the front and back, check for a bent wheel, jack up the car and see if there is any play in the bearing (grab at opposite sides of tire and push on one side while pulling on the other).

Does it randomly change direction or does it always feel like it's pulling one way? If it's random, then I'd guess you'd have a bad bearing or suspension part. If it's always going one way then I'd lean more towards inflation, bent wheel, loose lugs, etc.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Take a look at your rear shocks. If one is blown, leaking fluid, this will cause the back end to be damped differently from side to side, which will result in a sideways wobble when hitting bumps.

I had the same problem, and initially thought it to be an alignment issue. Turns out I had a blown shock on the driver's side. So I bought Koni Yellows and H&R OE Sports, and haven't looked back. 8)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Campy said:
Take a look at your rear shocks. If one is blown, leaking fluid, this will cause the back end to be damped differently from side to side, which will result in a sideways wobble when hitting bumps.
I had the same problem with my old Jetta, the backend was moving all over when on the freeway. The rear shocks were shot and once I replaced them, the car drove as good as new.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
L8apex1 said:
well you don't have a 4-Mo right? So technically we have a solid rear end and no room for "alignment".
Not 4 mo

Has your car been getting around?
It goes everywhere.

Take your car to the alignment shop. They may not be able to immediately fix the problem, but at least you'll know they rear axle is straight and not bent or something. Also I would try rotating the tires front to back, and make sure the lug nuts are torqued properly.
Ill try that. I just rotated about a month ago. I noticed it wasnt as tight was it was before maybe the rear ones have less traction? they r the same tires, but it was not like this before.

Make sure that your left and right tire pressures are equal on the front and back, check for a bent wheel, jack up the car and see if there is any play in the bearing (grab at opposite sides of tire and push on one side while pulling on the other).

Does it randomly change direction or does it always feel like it's pulling one way? If it's random, then I'd guess you'd have a bad bearing or suspension part. If it's always going one way then I'd lean more towards inflation, bent wheel, loose lugs, etc.
Ill check the tire pressure, anyone in Queens have a tire gauge? else Ill buy one. it moves in both directions not just one. So it is either not the wheels or both wheels.

I had the same problem, and initially thought it to be an alignment issue. Turns out I had a blown shock on the driver's side. So I bought Koni Yellows and H&R OE Sports, and haven't looked back. cool.gif
Ill check that when I bring it in, thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.